Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Just rain in Atlanta with the high temp in the 60-70 range. We have been having a very warm Fall, but colder weater is coming. Snow is not likely, but it has happened before. Who knows we might have some white stuff this Winter. :eek:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Didn't get any here, Frank, though we did get a little frost this morning. Sure is nice seeing the white mountains all around us.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Howdy Neil,
I think we got less than a half inch but Victorville and Apple Valley got up to 6" of snow. Phelan which is just south of us and closer to the mountains got 2 feet in places. I think now it is going to be sunny through the weekend.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Got snow in the forecast for sometime this morning. Dammit. Still have the pilot sports on too. If I had the forsight to check the weather repot before leaving for work, I could have put my winter rims in the car (Nokians already mounted) and installed them today. Litlle slipping and sliding should be fun. That wheezing little 111 is barely able to overpower the tires in rain, so hopefully it'll be alright. In my infinite wisdom I hacked my ASR so there is no electonic assist at all (but ABS has been retained).

Whatever; happy Thanksgiving all. :D

·
Registered
302 Posts
being a Gulf-south flatlander, I have no idea how that translates into water.

You guys ordinarily get less than 25 cm /yr precip, right?

Will this be a flooding problem?

How does it affect (if at all) the water budget/shortage in CA?

Will it provide enough moisture to increase plant growth and create a fuel hazard in the upcoming fire season?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Rain, rain, and more rain

Hi Frank:

The elevation above sea level at the world famious Atlanta Airport is 1,026 feet.

Atlanta normally has mild winters. Average highs are in the low to mid-50s from December through February, and early morning lows are in the low to mid-30s. Occasional warm spells in winter can see the mercury soar into the 70s. Atlanta averages about 3 inches of snowfall per year, with slightly higher amounts in northern suburbs. As moisture from the Gulf of Mexico battles cold air trapped against the eastern slopes of the Appalachians, ice storms often result.

Right now we are getting a lot of rain with some flooding.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Howdy Rib,
We get about 5" of rain a year. This storm will help with plant growth. Here in the desert the fre hazard is fairly low. In the foothills and the mountains it will increase the threat of fire. The growth of vegitation will also depend on what happens the rest of the year. If we don't get any more rain or snow then the treat drops. Also you have to look at growth from years ago. Some of the big bad fires burned growth that hasn't been burned in 40 years. As far as the water supply. One storm doesn't end a drought. But it does help.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Doing it today. Did absolutely nothing yesterday (and it was wonderful). Loaded the winter rims and tires into the car this morning, will have one of my apprentice techs put them on for me today. Really scary driving home though; everyone was pretty much all over the road. You think people would get used to driving in the weather as we do get it once a year. One of life's great mysteries. Took me almost two hours to travel what is normally a 35 minute commute. Really makes a person appreciate that single malt at the end of the trip.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Howdy All,
Trying to get more snow here. Rain in Los Angeles, snow in the mountains and wind here. This storm is coming down the coast so if it isn't big enough the mountains will take all the moisture. I would like it to snow because the dogs have never run jacks in the snow and that would be neat to see.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts