Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, here is my first post!

... and its not gonna be good. It's started to snow here in Eugene, OR, and I tried to drive somewhere. I couldnt get past first stop sign, my wheels were spinning, ESP light was blinking all the time, I tried to push very slow, tried to turn esp off, tried to start with manual 1st gear, tried to select comfort mode (transmission), nothing helped. I had to back-up half of the block, because it just wouldnt go forward. Now what gives? I miss my Audi Quattro now.... damn, this sux.

John

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sounds like what happened to me when I picked up my new C230 coupe at the dealer's a couple of wheeks ago. You need snow tires. I have the same wheels and tires you do (Did yours come with Michelins?) . They just don't do anything in the snow. Before I left the dealership 3 employees asked me if I knew I needed snow tires. I did, and had baught a set of used Michelin Arctic Alpin snow tires with some 16" alloy wheels.( The second night I had the car I wsa out in the driveway in the dark changing tires) They make a world of differance. I live on the North coast in upstate NY and we get a lot of snow off of Lake Ontario. I don't know how they can sell a car in climates like mine with tires that are useless for 1/2 to 2/3 of the year. The way I justify the snows is that I an wearing out cheaper rubber in the winter, and as you have found out they are necessary.

The Tire Rack has a bunch of great winter tire packages that come to your door balanced, mounted and they even sell the right lugnuts, which are very important. I bought a set of Dunlop snows for my wife's Aztek from them. She had some pretty aggressive highpo tires too. Don't ask me why.

Believe me, the snows will make all of the differance in the world on your Benz. It'll just blast through everything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah sounds like it

Yes, sound like I'll need them if this weather will stay the same for a while :) Good thing it snows once in couple of years here, as I heard. I live here for only 1 year, and this is my first winter in eugene, oregon :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
buy snow tires before you wreck a rim or bend something like me
I live in canada and we have only two big snows this year they make all the differece

Its well worth the investment

Belive me

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
jeneag, welcome to the forum. The max performance tires on you car are useless in the snow. As a matter of fact, their performance is greatly degraded at temps lower than 40 degrees even on dry pavement. The should be stored indoors when the temps drop to below 40 for extended periods. Low temps cause the max performance rubber compounds to plasticize, and the tires never fully recover from the experience.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I won't rehash how much I HATED the stock Conti Sports... suffice to say that I have replaced them with 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires and they are much better. I just have a hard time in 2003/2004 thinking I have to maintain 2 sets of tires/rims. All seasons are the way to go. If you have Conti's don't worry - you'll be replacing them soon anyway because they don't wear worth a damn.
I also noticed that the Michelins don't go "square" after sitting either which was annoying before. Bottom line is don't trust those stock tires in the snow.

·
Registered
125 Posts
C230 in the Snow

Hi,

Like I mentioned elsewhere, in light snow, my 2003 C230 with Pirelli P6 all seasons worked fine and I made it everywhere I wanted to go. They are softer than Michelins, which seem useless in snow. For heavier snow areas, get snow tires. With those you should be fine. On an icy, up-slope road, i found the ESP cut power and saved my butt from encouraging slides all over. I made it up the hills and the vans and front drivers didnt!!

al

·
Registered
7 Posts
Lack of Traction - Tires

I just posted a message about my woes with the tires provided by Mercedes-Benz.

I can see everyone has the same issue- the tires from Mercedes don't work in snow - but even worse, I discovered that when there is just a light dusting of snow or heavy rain, the car has very little traction and tends to slip/slide and has a lot of difficulty making it up slight slopes. Other cars around me have no problem in the same conditions.

A friend of mine who owns a C320 has the same problem.

Does anyone else find it disturbing that Mercedes Benz is not equipping their cars with tires that are even safe in rain and a mere dusting of snow.

What can be done about this? Why should we buy a Mercedes-Benz only to have to replace the tires or avoid using the car in certain weather conditions that seem suitable for everyone else. I live in Washington, D.C., with weather conditions that should not call for snow tires.

Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts