Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
87 300d here. Problem is getting worse so i want to be sure its the tranny cuz i may have an extra to swap it with. Ill explain it as best as possible. On the highway if i try to accelerate, and im not talking about flooring it, the car will not move and engine will rev past 5k RPM when i hear that i back off so i dont over rev but it will usually go back to normal after i let go of the pedal all together. It is happening alot more frequently now so im worried about damaging the engine. Second problem is that when i do floor it from slow speeds it almost feels like the tranny has trouble shifting (it feels like it shifted twice instead of once like it should). Third and final problem is that from a stand still the car will stutter during the gear change from 1-2 (i think) when it is floored, the rear wheels will jolt a few times before going into gear. The only thing that is not stock is the differential which was swapped out for one from an 89' diesel. And will a 300e tranny fit my car if needed?. Thanx in advance :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you know which transmission is in your 300D? Is it 722.317?

I'm pretty sure you cannot switch a 300E transmission into a 300D.

I experienced some of the same symptoms with my 87 300SDL. The transmission slipped badly on the highway. I was able to nurse it for a few weeks until I eventually lost 4th gear completely. Most of my driving is around town so I've been living without 4th for a while. I plan on rebuilding the tranny this spring.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts