Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was putting groceries in my new (3,600 miles) C230 coupe and happened to look down at my tailpipe. I saw a bunch of soot collected inside the tip. i wiped my finger around inside the tailpipe, and sure enough it was sooty. It doesn't seem to be getting bad gas mileage or anything. Is this abnormal for this car? I would expect to see a light grey deposit, maybe. But nice black carbon makes me think that it is running rich. Should I take it in to be looked at?? I am tempted to wash it off with a little gumout and see if it comes back. What's everyone think?

·
Registered
125 Posts
C230 sooty tailpipe

Hi

Mine is the same. Has been like that since new. Seems not to be a problem but it defies convention views that a clean pipe is better. Anybody have an explanation? It sure isnt because i drive too slowly!!

al

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have another data point. I checked a 2003 C230 today, and the tail pipe deposit was just like mine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have noticed this "sooty' looking deposit on my exhaust pipe also. This deposit quickly comes off, I have often had wondered what causes this? Have had my 2003 c230 coupe now over one year, car run great. This is good question looking for a good answer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts