Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the general tech forum but there are some smart diesel folks out there. Can anyone tell me where to find cv repair boots that have a side seam that can be bolted closed. My car is a 81 240D. I've seen "universal" ones but I want ones that are a specific fit for my vehicle. Does anyone know of universal ones that are a proper fit? This is intended to be a temporary fix until I can install the new axles which I already have. The boots are torn but the joints aren't making much noise and there is only a small amount play in the axle when you turn it with your hand. If I can find the boots, how can I clean the joints before I install the boots and grease? Should I drench the joints with parts cleaner? Thanks for your good advice.

·
Administrator
876 Posts
I have just fitted universal split CV rubber gaiters to one of my vehicles.

These were not bolted together but have a tongue and groove seam that is welded together with the black 'superglue' that is supplied with the kit. The project went very well and the welded seam is the strongest part ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
NEW UNIVERSAL SPLIT CV JOINT BOOT GAITER KIT FOR DRIVESHAFTS EASY FIT SYSTEM. ... Universal Split CV Joint Boot Kit (Outer Joint). ... Universal Split Drive Shaft Joint CV Boot Gaiter Kit - Bailcast CVS18.

·
Registered
127 Posts
This is not about the split boots but the other universal boots that are not split.
There is 2 types of axles on Mercedes W123's Homokinetic Axles that have what I call cans on each end and Annular Axles that have a can on one end but the differential end has bolts holding it together.

Again speaking only of Universal type Boots (like Astoria and Dorman with no seams) on the Homokinetic Axles the New Boots are stretched over the Cans by way of a Pneumatic spreading tool or a Cone which the boot is pulled over. You cannot stretch the stock type boots.
The Boots are stretched over because the procedure to take apart one end of the axle to replace the boots is complicated.

On the other hand the Annular axles can be taken apart form the bolted end and new boots stock or universal can be slid over the shaft.

Astoria Flexx Boots are the ones that have the best rep. I used Dorman Boots as they were cheap and more available to stretch over the cans on my Axles. But, recent users claim the now rip too easy during installation.

No matter what Boots you use you need to decide if you want to fill them with Oil as was original or use CV Joint Grease. I chose grease. Also you need more grease then comes with the grease packet that comes with the Boot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts