Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
i have the squeaking too i hate it

you're not the only one with the squeaks. my car is a year and 2 months old, and i've been driving it hard since about 4000 miles (i have 10070) and for about 3 months i've been having a sound from the sunroof area. it kinda sounds like bending panels or something. i've noticed that closing the sunroof covers (WHO WANTS TO DO THAT??!) helps cover the sound. i hate it. and also, when i went for 10000 mile service, they said there's nothing to do because it is in fact the sunroof (panels) that make the sound. the car is less rigid with the sunroof panels all the way across.

·
Banned
175 Posts
Think MB should fix your problem, mine is over a year old and no squeaks from the sunroof. Tell them it was not that way when you bought it.
Tom

·
Banned
175 Posts
It must be that northern weather that effects the roof ha, here in Florida we have no problems with the roof.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Well I have no squeaks when I open or close the roof, it's kind of noisy when it's open and while driving, when I close it I don't hear a thing... :?:

·
Registered
98 Posts
I get a squeak from the cabin light and control panel area on my roof and I don't have a sunroof on which to blame it. It is annoying though. I can get rid of it if I press up on the panel but I sure can't shift while doing that :wink:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Squeeky roof on c230k

I have noticed the sqeak as well - usually on dry days and on bumpy roads. It sounds like there is some sort of rubbing between the sunroof gasket and the glass...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have the same problem here. Two weeks ago when I brought the car in for service A I told the dealership about it and when I went to pick up my car she said they couldn't hear anything. Figures. But it is the same type of noise that you are hearing. The dealership did replace my emblem which had become discolored and the drivers side door seal.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My sunroof squeeks as well. I hate it! :) I also notice when I open it... I get a really harsh sound.. hard to describe.. I have to take my car in soon and i am going to have them check it at that time...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Vaca

My roof is also squeeky with the panorama sunroof, i took it to the dealer and they said they took the whole roof off and oiled it and said they took care of the problem. 2 days later its squeeking again! It is very annoying especially when you have people in the car with you. You figure you pay 30 grand, there shouldnt be any noises especially in a Benz. Oh well, I will tell them again and see what they say. I also have a weird, somewhat quiet, clunking noise coming from the front end. I think it is an engine mount. Have to get that taken care of too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well.. i found that if I crack my "vent" part on my sunroof it helps. I guess that will have to suffice! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Squeaky Roof?

My dealer put a strip of adhesive velour in the middle of the sunroof to dampen it. After a few months it started to melt off and the velour is now sticking out the roof. It looks pretty stupid. When I took it in for A service, the dealer, Claridges, in Fremont, California, said they'd take care of it next time I came in. They said that would be a week, two weeks ago, and had the odacity to call me today surveying my service two weeks ago. I can't say I am satisfied with their service to say the least.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I purchase a Starmark C230K at a dealer in Rochester Hills Michigan. The car has 22,000 miles and I have had the same problem with a squeaky/styrofoam rubbing type sound from the roof. Took it to dealer and they ordered parts? Took back in and they supposedly repaired it. The noise was gone for approximately 1000 miles and returned. Called dealer and they stated that they have done all they can and that the squeaks and rattles will not be covered anymore. Pretty poor service for someone that just purchased their first MB.

I took 7/16 X 1" foam tape and cut three 2" pieces and placed them in the recessed area behind the glass. I had to double up on the foam in order for the glass portion that fits into the recess to touch the foam. This placed just enough pressure on the back portion of the roof. I also applied a thin layer of Krytox grease to the entire rubber gasket around the roof. No

Have been driving now for 3000 miles and no more noise and have had zero leaks.

This was a trick I used on some GM cars with similar issues at a dealer I used to work at.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My advice is NEVER try putting WD40 into things like that. I tried that with my door and it just got worse. WD40 is designed to WASH away things - including your existing grease. Best way to go with things when they squeak is silicone grease/lube. Find it in AutoZone. STP and some other bands have it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The US Government has restricted use of WD40 in government facilities due to some harmful chemicals in it. I wouldn’t use WD40 or any other chemicals before checking to see if they are safe to use in closed areas. I had a problem with the SRS indicator light so I had to take my car to my dealership. Since it was there already I asked them to check my sun roof because it squeaked and the shade didn’t close all the way. After I got my car back it didn’t squeak any longer and the shade closed all the way. Here in Cali it is really dusty. I think that is why mine was squeaking in the first place.

·
Registered
2 Posts
squeaky roof

owned my 230K since Sept. '01 & have had the car in several times for the sunroof problem......finally found out that it is the lubrication drying out that causes the noise....fixed it in April '03 with some goo from the Volvo dealership, but have just had it in again today to get it done(dried out again). Dealership indicates that they have had several cars with this problem and will be making lubrication part of the service that these cars will receive on an ongoing basis!

Frustrated with this purchase and no value in the resale market now!

Anyone know of anybody in Southwestern Ontario that wants to buy???

6 speed manual, black/black leather heated seats, panoramic sunroof, indash CD player, balance of factory warranty, one owner since Sept. '01.

·
Registered
35 Posts
roof

I have had my car in 3 times for the sunroof. They told me I just need to lubricate it. I am sorry but this is what I bought this car for == 1. maintenance free & 2. the pano roof. I have been cracking the roof the take away from the squeeking but one day i forgot it was cracked and started to wash the car! Thankfully nothing happened.. to make long story short- they ordered me a new roof. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts