Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a 98 C230 ( 68K mile US ), the SRS light on the dash is on all times. No check engine light yet! How can I troubleshoot the system before going to the shop for analysis. Any common items like sensors, wire connections, seat belts I need to check before going to the shop. Professional advise is needed. Thanks

·
Registered
678 Posts
Sorry, no real common SRS problems that I know of on your car. You can retrieve codes with an OBD II scanner, that'll give you a direction to go, but still won't tell you the problem. You might as well just get it diagnosed properly.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I'm going to agree with Z on this one. Without at least having a readout of the stored fault, you're flying blind. I'd get that checked and proceed as indicated.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SRS codes

Well, I had the local MB dealer check it, but they came with two codes:
28-064 fault in communication between comp B48 (fron pass seat occupied and child seat recognition) and component child seat.
26-2000 The coding for component B41/1 (front passenger seat occupied recognition) is faulty.
They said they were not sure but they might have to change the front pass seat sensor and or the controller for the SRS. They were not sure if that will fix the problem. The light is out for now but it might come back anytime as they told me. Any professional advise to what to do! Thanks

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
The passenger seat recogntition mat under the seat cover has been the issue on a lot of cars I've serviced. It would be better to buy the part and take it to an upholstery shop to have the job done. A lot of this work gets sublet from the dealer anyways.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the seat bottom upholstry hard to remove and install! Can I do myself. How does the seat comes off. Is the two torix bolts at the rear of the track! Thanks

·
Registered
678 Posts
It can be done yourself, but the process is kinda long, and I dont' really feel like typing it all out. I'd do it only if your experienced in upholstery.

hehe, apparently I'm an expert now!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Yeah, break out the hog-ring pliers and have fun. Really, I wouldn't use your MB as the test bed to learn upholstery work. It's not terribley complicated once you've done it a few times, but it's definately worth paying some one to do it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
offering solution

Well, I had the local MB dealer check it, but they came with two codes:
28-064 fault in communication between comp B48 (fron pass seat occupied and child seat recognition) and component child seat.
26-2000 The coding for component B41/1 (front passenger seat occupied recognition) is faulty.
They said they were not sure but they might have to change the front pass seat sensor and or the controller for the SRS. They were not sure if that will fix the problem. The light is out for now but it might come back anytime as they told me. Any professional advise to what to do! Thanks
How to use DIY Benz Seat Occupancy Sensor Emulator « UOBD2 Official Blog

1 - 14 of 14 Posts