Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my 2004 CLK320 Coupe, the stock wheels are 16-inch. I plan to upgrade to 17-inch in the summer and I am deciding on whether to go staggered or not.

On on hand, the staggered setup looks better. On the other hand, I can no longer rotate my tires so they have to replace much sooner.

What do you think?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One more consideration, I was told that the increase in performance in staggered setup is insignificant.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Both of my recent MB's have had a staggered setup. It looks 100 times better in my opinion. Plus, you are getting a tiny bit more rubber on the road, so there is some advantage, albeit a small one. I'd do it. If you're car is kept in proper alignment spec and you check you tire pressures regularly, there shouldn't be all that much of a difference in tire wear.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just replaced the stock tires (Continental all-season) with winter tires (Pirelli 210) on the 16-inch staggered wheels.

I noticed that the rear tires were substantially more worn than the front ones, especially in the inner grooves. As far as I know, there is no problem with the alignment of my car. I usually drive in the highway and I keep 31 psi in front and 33 psi in the rear.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lynn said:
Your rear tire pressure is too high. And your throttle foot is too heavy, :wink:
I understand, the sympton of the rear tires suggests air pressure being too high. However, the tire pressure, 33 PSI, in the rear is recommended from MB for driving over 100 KM/H which I do, I do mostly highway driving. Furthremore, I do not usually drive agressively, never squeal my tires.

As a side note, with the Pirelli 210 snow tires, the car is more stable and handles better. Strange, I expected worse with winter tires...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts