Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband drove the 96 280C this morning and parked it in the driveway for 30 minutes and then when he tried to start it,,,the steering wheel would not unlock :( , hence the key would not turn in the ignition. I tried it several times myself jiggling the steering wheel to try to unlock it,,,but nothing. :?

I did notice that after a few attempts at jiggling the wheel all the LED gauges went dead,,,,then would come back on when I opened the door.......
could this be our security system running amok,,,any input would be helpful...I am a dumb MZB owner :oops: , as I bought this car used two years ago and had to learn the features the hard way :roll:
thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
steering wheel

Just to let you know,,,,had to have it towed to my MZB only mechanic,,,he said welcome to the world of mercedes,,this is common with mercedes,,,will probably cost my $400+ to fix,,,retool the ignition,,,coded as it was,,,comes with a key, but old keys will fit,,,bad part is that it will take over one week to get the part,,, :roll:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had this problem a few months ago. The spare key would work fine though. Sure enough my key was bad. That ran around $175 to replace.

I did search all the MB sites I could find and found no mention of it. If this was a common problem people would be bitching about it all the time. Just my $.02

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
steer

DuncanM thanks for the input,,,since I have had this problem, I have also talked to other people who have also had this happen, so it is not just mercedes,,,,so it is not uncommon

·
R.I.P Always Remembered
1,865 Posts
Your problem appears to be the electronic ignition switch and it is very expensive to replace, but also check that the car is firmly in N as this can also cause this problem. Give the shift lever a good wack on the back to ensure N is engaged.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts