Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone

I am seeing more and more small swirl marks in my cars paint since its black its really noticeable, I recently got the car so I dont know what was done before will a good professional waxing job take them out ?

how many layers of clear coat do mercedes come with hopefully the paint has not been damaged by the previous owner

·
Registered
37 Posts
Lynn said:
Wax will not remove swirl marks. It just makes them shinier. You need to learn how to buff your car.

Your car has one coat of primer, one coat of base color and one coat of clearcoat.
Lynn, you seem to know everything about everything. I am assuming a guy like you (with all of that intelligence) must be a Red Wing fan and not root for those evil Blues, eh???

Tim 8)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Lynn said:
I'm not a hockey fan, but as I'm a native Coloradan you can guess which team I would support if I were a fan.
That's OK, because we don't count them as a "real" hockey team anyway!

Merry Christmas, Lynn, and thanks for all of your help this year.

Tim 8) 8)

·
Registered
52 Posts
tsberkey,

While black is one of the best colors on a car when clean and free of imperfections, it is the most difficult color to maintain. Swirl marks are a result of improper washing (mostly) but any debris or dirt on the car will cause some swirls or micro-marring. To remove something like this, you would need to prep your car for a complete "makeover" if you will.

Your car would benefit from being clayed. Claying removes indistrial fallout as well as other dirt and contaminants on your paint. Once your paint is clayed, you can begin to use a swirl remover to get those light swirls out. After that, it's best to followup with a sealant and glaze to protect the paint, then a carnauba wax as a topper, for extra protection.

I could go on FOREVER (you'd be surprised how much there is to know!), but I'll let the experts do the talking... go to www.autopia.org, and you'll find a boatload of guys that are super-knowledgeable and can answer practically every question you have regading detailing. You can also search though the message boards and do indiviual research. Spend some time there, and I guarantee you that y ou'll never think of cleaning cars the same way again!

:wink:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yah that stuff is great i used it to polish a deap scracth out of my shifter knob top logo, its winter now so i will wax with meguiers in the spring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts