Benz Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nav System

7K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Lynn 
#1 ·
So I have little to no info on the navigation system (Comand) that mercedes uses. I currently have a navigation system in my current car and I would like to get rid of it and have a built in one in my new c230k but I want to make sure that its a decent system etc...Anyone have any info on it, and/or reviews.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Here's what I could find:

COMAND System w/o cassette

The optional COMAND system includes onboard GPS navigation employing CD-ROM maps, a CD player* and a radio integrated in one in-dash control center. A 5" LCD screen and controls on the steering wheel help make COMAND easy to use.

The navigation system offers visual and spoken directions as you drive. When you're not navigating, you can play an audio CD in the in-dash unit. Even the optional digital phone integrates completely with COMAND.

* While it is occupied with a COMAND CD, the CD player cannot play audio CDs. To play CDs while using COMAND, you need the optional glovebox mounted CD changer.

#3 ·
Yea I found that much too, but nothing more. I want to get more details on how usable the system is and how accurate it is. I found reviews of the older nav systems but not this one. The information out there is very lacking....and I don't know why.

Thanks for the help.

#4 ·
gburch said:
Yea I found that much too, but nothing more. I want to get more details on how usable the system is and how accurate it is. I found reviews of the older nav systems but not this one. The information out there is very lacking....and I don't know why.

Thanks for the help.
Welcome to the forum. Most coupe owners do not get COMAND, and we are still a small board, so we may not be of much help on this issue. The Audio & Electronics Forum at mbworld.org would be a good place to ask. They have many owners of the higher priced MB's, which are more likely to have COMAND.

#5 ·
thanks guys. I wish more people did, its a cool car but I love my gadgets. I am looking at getting one with the complete motorola v60 system with voice command and the nav system. It still puts me way below the other mercedes and in my opinion a cooler car.

Greg

#6 ·
Nav Syst.

Hey everyone. My C230 coupe has a built in nav and I must admit I do like it. It my first so I don't have much to compare to. I went with the cd changer in the glove comparment and that has worked out nice. The Benz actually lowers the volume on the music when giving directions and returns it to the previous volume when done. You can also display the nav information ( limited ) on your odometer as you go. If you have specific questions, let me know and I will do my best to answer them.

TogaShark

#7 ·
Awesome, sounds very nice. Thanks for the reply. I like the features of lowering the volume and the hint on the odometer (My system didn't hook into the audio system)

How accurate is it, and can you do things such as find points of interest and set way points. Also how fast is it at finding locations? Does it reroute good and allow enough distance on the reroute (mine always tries to reroute me to a street a block away which I passed while it was thinking)

Anything you hate about it?

Thanks!

Greg

#8 ·
Hi Greg,
The system is very accurate. Scary in a big brother is watching type way.
As you drive along it will prompt you to turn in a 1000 ft, and a bar will appear on both the nav and odometer and start declining. When it disappears, low and behold you are at the exact point where you would need to turn.
Locations can be found, however actual address numbers are limited to blocks i.e. if you are looking for 847 Halecrest it will give you between 825 - 850 Halecrest. I have not had this hinder me in any way so far.
The rerouting could be better. It will try to get you to uturn ( depending if you are on a street or not ) but if you blow that off it will recalculate another route. Calculations times never are more than 20 sec.
Things I could live without: no street names on map on in directions, inputting address ( definitely cannot do a new one on the fly , however a saved previous locvation takes only seconds ). Lastly, if you live in area with alot of freeways like I do ( SoCal ) it alerts to merge right when it notices another highway splitting off the one you are on. Valuable if you are in the granny lane, but in with a Benz you are more than likely in the speed lane and the info has not affect on your decision. And no, it cannot tell which lane of traffic you are in.
Overall, I really like. If you are looking for something that is as cool as it is functional, then this really fits.
Pls forward me your thoughs on the timeport phone system. I would like to have one added, but would like to get opinions as well.

TogaShark

#9 ·
Wow thanks, thats the type of info I was looking for. One question.

what do you mean by:

no street names on map on in directions

Does it not tell you the streets?

Also can you have it display in different formats depending on the way you like it.
Can you zoom in on locations and visually see points of interest around them.
How do the point of interest work, can I say find me mcdonalds, or can I say find me american food etc...?

Thanks again.

#10 ·
Basically while you drive it lets you know what street/highway you are driving on. As you driving and you look at the map, the next street does not have a name ( you can see were it goes like any map ) but it is not written on the screen. As for direction, it will tell you to take a right in 500ft vs take a right on Wilshire. So in essence, on the street you are currently on has a name.
There are different setting for the display. Actually 3 in total.
The first is a light lite background which has a day appearance to it.
The second is a blueish background which has a nite appearance to it.
Lastly you have the whole display go black ( i.e. you will see nothing )
You can adjust the contrast on any of the first two options.
You also have the option to setting view features from .1 miles to 10 miles.
At the .1 level you will see gas stations, atms, benz delaerships, airports, train stations, etc.
There is a scroll bar were it will list all the current restaurants( by name..i.e. McDonalds, DZ Akins etc )/points of interest ( Cabrillo national Monument) in your current area. The list changes as you move along. If you select one it will put a flag on the map for your and give you an option to calculate a route to get there.

#11 ·
Sounds like they hit the nail on the head, almost.

I can't believe it doesn't give the street name. To me turning in 500 ft is less significant then turn on Wilshire st. Its nice to have the audio say "Turn in 500 ft" but the screen say "Turn on Wilshire St." the one I have now has both on the screen and the audio tells you the distance.

Sad that they almost had it perfect.

#13 ·
Re: COMAND System

yongra said:
Can this be installed after? (retrofit)

Thanks
North Americn cars are pre-wired, so it is a straightforward, but not easy, install. It is very difficult on cars in other markets because much of the interior must be removed to run the cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.