Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm a newbie. I'm thinking about trading in my Infiniti for a '97 or '98 C230. I've seen many in my area with low miles and good prices. What should I look for when I'm inspecting this vehicle? What are common problems? Are these vehicles reliable? (I'm coming from an Infiniti-10 years of ownership and it has only left me stranded once). I Look forward to your answers.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have a 1997 C280 I have owned nissan maximas and many other cars
I would say with the infinity line, so far my mercedes has had a transmission replacement and the mass airflow sensor go in it I have had it for about 2 months now, I am not to impressed buy the reliability, other wise it looks good handles well and is speed beast,

My best advice is to get an extended warrenty its worth every dollar if something needs to get replaced, get a bumper to bumper warrent it should be around 1500 for one year

Tranny replace ment was 3600CAD that was a deal from a friend
and the mass air flow was 500CAD also a deal from a friend

good luck check the engine and transmission throughly

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I love the way Benz's look (I've always liked them) but maybe I should stick the Japanese Luxury brands. Previous to my Infiniti, I use to own and Audi. It wasn't a great ownership experience. In my first two years of ownership a lot went wrong and Audi custumer service never cared or pretended to car by giving me the run around. My wife currently owns a 2001 Golf GLS. Her ownership experience has been nothing to write home about either. Lots of mechanical issues and VW customer service that is indifferent. As a result I'm a bit leery towards European luxury brands.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Europe vs Asia...

Just my $.02...

My wife and I both own VW's. Wife's is a '00 Passat GLX and mine is a '96 Jetta GLS. We have had great ownership experiences. Very few problems and when there were problems our service department handled them quickly and well.

We are now awaiting the delivery of our new 04.5 MB C230K Sport Sedan.

I test drove many many cars before settling on the MB.

Infinity
Acura TSX
BMW 325i
VW Jetta GLI
Subaru WRX STI
Audi A4

I personally prefer the European cars as I feel that they have a more distinctive look. They feel more solid. They seem to have more features.

I think that we will be staying with the European cars for the duration of our car buying lifes.

I do agree that you will most likely spend less time in the service department with many of the Asian imports but when you do have to go to the shop you will most likely not be treated the same way as you would at an MB shop. I have been assured that when I have to bring my car in for service I will be given a MB loaner, my car will be washed inside and out.

Also the service plan sold me on the MB, that would not help you with a used car though.

It sounds like you are on the right track with whatever car you choose. Good luck and enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm glad you've had a pretty good VW experience in your area, wish I could have had the same. There are 5 Audi/VW dealers in my area, all of them are crooks.

I started looking at newer "used" BMW and Mercedes Benzes because the newer Infiniti's and Acura products are not as solidly built as the old ones and the interiors feel a bit cheap.

Customer service with my Infiniti has been exceptional. A free loaner car for any service (even well after the warranty period expired). They would install free bulbs and wiper blade and never charge me whenever I stopped by the parts department to purchase a bulb or wiper blade. On one ocassion they sent a service tech to my door within and hour of my call to the service department (I never asked for a service tech and I live far from the Infiniti dealer), this is well after my warranty had expired to help me install a new battery (it was arcing every time I tried to install the second cable). The dealer never even charged me for it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I did not want to discourage you from getting a benz its a lovely car but I thought I should tell you what you will be getting into, as for dealer ship experience I will NOT go to my local dealer I have already driven 200Km to a differnet one where they show me some respect and appreciate my business, I am only a "KID" in there eyes and I may not have as much money as a 600SL customer but I still drive a mercedes and I Think that should be all that matters, although there is one person at my local dealership that is helpfull, for god sakes my family used to work there many years ago, Maybe that is why ???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts