Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife currently has an ML500 and has decided that she wants a G Wagen. My brother in law said that maintenance costs and parts are considerably higher on a G Wagen than on ML's or other Mercedes. However, he doesn't own one. I would appreciate feedback so that I can make a decision.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Overall it is a more expensive vehicle to own. The parts are quite a bit more expensive than the ML but they are of a considerably higher level of quality. I am a big fan of ther G's. There aren't a lot of issues on most of them . The switchgear for most comfort/conveneince functions are shared with the C class, so they are relatively simple in that regard. Gas mileage is abyssmal, but even the 500 moves quite quickly, especially considering it's size. It has a much stiffer ride as it does not make a lot of compromises with its off road biased suspension; it is not for everyone. Based solely on reliability I would way rather own a G out of warranty than an ML. Bottom line, it will be a little more expensive but it is a lot more vehicle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ML vs G

We traded in our ML for a 2004 G55 and yes it does cost more but is well worth it. The ride is an issue for my wife as she has a bad back and the ML ride is better on rough city roads. We just looked at new ML's and she decide to stay with the G, even with the extra cost.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I'll tell you this. I've driven practically every U.S. AMG car with the exception of CL65 and an SL65, and I will tell you hands down, the G55 Kompressor was the funnest MB that I have ever driven! Truely insane! And has a sound of a god! G wagons are great if you want a Hummer with alittle more practicality. They are alittle more expensive to repair, but they don't have nearly as many problems as ML's had. I can only think of a couple real issues that they've had are tire vibration issues (usually people parking them for along time and they develop flat spots, or they take too much weight to balance, 55's are worse), and occasionally the inner door handle bracket collapses, which is an easy fix. Then there the usual MB problems that all the cars have (i.e. normal trans stuff, or engine carbon, etc, etc). Just be prepared, even though it still does say Mercedes-Benz on it, it'll drive like a truck! Kinda think of it as a really fast Semi!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts