Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2017 400 E Coupe'
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I started my car after garaging it for about a year I noticed some warnings about the rear battery needing to be replaced so I did that before starting her. The warning was gone from the instrument panel. After starting it, it started running rough and then the check engine light came on.
I read that I needed to know " The Codes " but after reading for hours I couldn't come to any plan that made sense to me. All roads seemed to suggest DEALER. Before I go to the dealer I'm wondering if it's not possible to build into all late model MB a code reader that owners can access with the right combination of maneuver's that will then show up on the LCD or perhaps on a tablet or smartphone?

I've also had a few idea's that came up during the pandemic. I'm thinking that I need to speak with a computer tech person or a hacker to see if my idea's are possible with the development of an app or a program that can handshake the car and the computer?

Since I posted this in the E class category, I'm wondering what is suggested for posting to the whole forum?

·
Super Moderator
1997 SL500 Sport pano triple black 2010 R350 - sold 2014 E350 - sold
89 Posts
The codes are read through (at least for roughly 1996 and newer vehicles) the OBD2 (On Board Diagnostics 2) port. OBD "1" was earlier cars, not sure the year range. Code readers that plug into the OBD2 port located under the steering column (usually) are readily available. Some just read codes that you then go look up. Some read more stuff and some you can "clear" codes as well. So - to answer your question - I would say "No" Mercedes will not spend $$ to have these codes be on your dash or central dash screens.
In the USA, you can go to a local Autoparts retailer, and they will offer you to read your car's codes for free - in hopes of selling you parts to fix the issues.

PS. I moved this thread to the DIY/Tech Help sub forum.

·
Registered
2017 400 E Coupe'
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The codes are read through (at least for roughly 1996 and newer vehicles) the OBD2 (On Board Diagnostics 2) port. OBD "1" was earlier cars, not sure the year range. Code readers that plug into the OBD2 port located under the steering column (usually) are readily available. Some just read codes that you then go look up. Some read more stuff and some you can "clear" codes as well. So - to answer your question - I would say "No" Mercedes will not spend $$ to have these codes be on your dash or central dash screens.
In the USA, you can go to a local Autoparts retailer, and they will offer you to read your car's codes for free - in hopes of selling you parts to fix the issues.

PS. I moved this thread to the DIY/Tech Help sub forum.
Thanks for moving this I was hoping that an administrator saw what I was asking for and just move it to the right place.

That said is the forum " for everyone " so to speak this one :
I looked up at the info above and it looks like it stops here: DIT/ Tech Help. It works for me.

I have to ask BW if maybe I'm missing something about vehicles with computers and " codes " but if I am I wonder if anyone out there can break it down for me in such a way that makes it easier for me to understand how and why after all of these years there seems to be some missing parts if you ask me.

I've been looking into buying on of those OBD2 devices. First off why are some of them so cheap it's hard to understand how such a device can be produced for 25 bucks or less? In fact I found one that almost makes no sense NOT to buy this week for UNDER 10 BUCKS. Then under the same category I find ones in the hundreds of dollar range and thousand dollar range, and I thought I saw one for a 5 digit number.

Think about this: If an OBD2 reads codes and some may allow the DIYer to reset codes ( a feature that must cost extra, I understand that ) but I'm reading that some have the ability to ( I'm guessing here based on a MB mechanic in NJ who made a point of telling me that all work that is done on girl friends 2010 350 E 4 Matic, I immediately saw the value in having a shop that has the ability to authenticate that the work was done by a shop that must in some way be approved to do the work and send in the report. Am I close to being right about this?

If an OBD2 has the ability to " communicate " with a larger system somewhere out there then I am still curious why MB doesn't make a few changes to the computer system on board that fascinates the heck out of me. All of the things that can be monitored on the LCD and or the INST CLUS made me wonder why I couldn't dig out more info from the system.

If I purchase a Bluetooth enabled device and as suggested download a few apps that allow something to be done; but they don't say exactly what I can do or communicate to my dealer for instance. The service manager has been more patient with me than I think he needs to be answering questions about codes and water in my gas which to be perfectly honest IS what the HOT ROD building DIYer guy thinks based on old school learning.

Will those tricks that my Grandfather taught me no longer apply on a computerized car?

If from a myriad of " what if's " that gets DISCUSSED all over the internet; each one having dire consequences if one doesn't have the dealer fix it; makes sense if the prediction and possibility that something way more expensive to fix ISN"T what is wrong with my car then changing all of the spark plugs won't hurt, nor will changing all of the wires, a new mass air sensor will not hurt the car nor will new o2 sensor and any other possibility that they mention will not suffer from all new parts being installed in the car. And if the tank needs to be drained I had one shop tell me " between 5 and 7 hundred dollar plus disposal fees for the gas and the cost of any new gas put in to replace the " bad gas ".

I mentioned my other driver as a 95 Camrey LE 4 cyl owned since new. I managed to siphon about 8 gallons of gas out of the MB and looked at it in glass containers. I didn't see any water so I put the so called " bad gas " into the toyota and she ran great. I expect that if there is water in my tank it may be a gallon or less sitting at the lowest point in the tank probably right over the tube that goes to the engine.

I'm going to have to see how a code may tell me the whole truth about what is wrong with a car that just came back from servicing was running perfect, filled up with premium fuel then parked for a year or so, ran well for a few minutes then started " missing ".

I still think that there can be a way to get all necessary info to the dealer without having it towed there.

It is about the money mostly installing parts that may not be needed. I apologize but I've seen so many friends and family be taken for a ride from dealers who know that " this old person " knows nothing about anything that I will tell them.

Is there a forum here specifically for crazy stories that really happened that may be entertaining and educational at the same time?

If I talk too much you should be around after two espresso's!! LOL

·
Super Moderator
1997 SL500 Sport pano triple black 2010 R350 - sold 2014 E350 - sold
89 Posts
Also - considering the vehicle was stored for a year, you should also check your wiring to see if and are rodent damaged. They’re known to chew on wiring causing issues. Open the hood, remove the engine cover and get a good flashlight to look around.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts