Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:?: Does anyone out there know how long a timing chain on a Mercedes A clas should last. Mine snaped about a month ago now, and Mercedes have taken the car backk under their Mobilolife warrenty, to repair it free of charge, but now they know the extent of the damage they are saying it's not down to them, but surely if the timing chaine has a lifetime garentee, it's down to them to fix it, by the way my car is a T reg (1999) and has only done 70,000 miles. can anyone give me any info on the life of a timing chain, as Trading standards want to know before I can take this matter any further, Mercedes are being evasive about giving out this sort of info.
Please help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
RE: Timing chain

Under what circumstacnes did it snap?

How fast was the engine revving.

My guess is that they are going to say the chain hasn't snapped due to a fault with the chain itself but that it snapped when the engine was overrevved.

If it snapped at low revs it would have just bent valves.

If it snapped due to overevving, it may have caused a valve to have snapped off and totaly mashed the inside of the engine beyond repair.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Don't know specifically, about MBs, but most manuals I've read for cars owned in the past usually indicated that the timing chain gets replaced between 50,000 - 70,000 miles.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I never thought of a timing chain as a maintenance item that has to be replaced at certain intervals. Cars that use timing belts are very specific about the change intervals. I have never seen anything about timing chain changing in any of the MBs that I have owned. As far as I am concerned they should last the life of the engine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts