Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have a question regarding the warranty that Mercedes offers. I was driving down this road, and made a slight sharp turn and all of the sudden one my tires literally exploded. Luckily thanks to the Roadside Assistance they were able to change it in no time. My question is, I dont even have more than 10,000 on the tires, is there any warranty by any chance because this really sucks if Mercedes is offering some cheap tires like this and having it explode when I have a little over 9,000 miles on it, :x Has this by any chance happen to anyone yet? Regardless of the explosion but the quickness of the wear on the tires?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
all tire warranties are handeled by the tire manufacturer. don't bother going to the dealership as most times they will send you in that direction anyways. call continental or michelin (whomever manufactured the tire) and take up your grievences with them.

·
Registered
175 Posts
If you had the same stock Conti's that I had, at 9k they were 1/2 way to replacement anyway. They are crappy tires and MB should be ashamed to mount them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually the sad part is that my tires are the Michelins MX4 , they are not the Cont. tires. I already talked to Mercedes Benz Service Manager and all he told me was that they didnt cover any Road Hazard problems. I called the Michelin corporate and all they told me was to go to an authorized Michelin dealer (Basically like a Big 10 tire or Sams, or any place that sold Michelin tires) So I plan on doing that on Friday, will let you know how it went...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tires

I think it is unfair for Mercedes Benz to put such crappy tires on its cars. In fact, I think the tires are unsafe. I posted a message asking if anyone has terrible traction in rain or in less than 1/2 an inch in snow.

I expected so much more from Mercedes.

Does anyone else think that Mercedes owes us better tires?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Re: Tires

reddog said:
I expected so much more from Mercedes.

Does anyone else think that Mercedes owes us better tires?
I guess I don't have this same "sense of entitlement". It's a choice to drive a Mercedes, just as much it's a choice to buy a Mercedes. I see Conti's on BMW's all the time and maybe they feel the same way. But you do have a choice when you purchase the vehicle - ask the dealer to switch 'em out and put Michelin's (or whatever tire you desire) on - now depending on how cool your dealership is, this may or may not be free, but to think that Mercedes "owes us better tires" is not right.

Don't get me wrong, I was upset also when I started reading up and found out that the the Pilots that came on my care would only last ~25k miles, give or take 5k, but reading other websites that had info about 225x45 17's with a Y rating, I found out that that's pretty damn good. Sure, we have the choice to go with a different compound and a lower speed rating which would probably yield more miles, but then someone out there's gonna complain about handling.

Mercedes Benz does not manufacture tires, nor do they manufacture headlamps or surf racks. They don't make the leather that your seats go on, nor do they make the Bose stereos in the car. They can't be held accountable for everything, but they stick their neck out and warranty everything on the list above except the tires - and in your glove box, it says that in the manual as well as a little info card.

This is just my opinion...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts