Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I try to praise with the same energy that I complain when it is warranted.. so here goes. I just bought four new tires (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S) from The Tire Rack. I shopped around quite a bit for price (local and Internet) and found them to be the lowest price. Technical information available on the website was very good. I ordered the tires on Sunday and received them at my door on Tuesday (felt like Wyle E. Coyote getting his ACME delivery).

I highly recommend The Tire Rack. Also, a thank you to Luke (moderator of this forum) for the tire recommendation. Tried to find a place on the site to give him credit for my purchase but wasn't able to.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The only downfall of TireRack is that every 5, 000 miles all tires should rotated and balanced. Unless you know someone with the proper equipment, you will be hit with an additional fee each time this is done (10-12 times for the life of the tires). Could run as much as $350. Dealers are free.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dealers are free? Where I live nobody does anything for free. I usually have the MB dealer rotate my tires, and they do charge me, but not much. They only charged me $60 to mount and balance the new ones.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Where I live they do. It's more common than not.

Mounting is only the initial expense. You MUST maintain or you will be throwing good money after bad.

·
Registered
36 Posts
silverarrow said:
The only downfall of TireRack is that every 5, 000 miles all tires should rotated and balanced. Unless you know someone with the proper equipment, you will be hit with an additional fee each time this is done (10-12 times for the life of the tires). Could run as much as $350. Dealers are free.
I do not balance my tires every 5000 miles ..... and I never rotate my tires because I can't ... the rears are wider than the fronts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Luke, how often do you rotate?

And just because your rears are larger than your fronts does not mean you should not rotate. Are you against changing direction?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought four michelin sport a/s from sams club last week
noticed a pull to the right after installation
called sams when I got home
they have ordered two new tires(special order size)
and will replace until they find the offending tire
I was told,by sams, that sometimes during manufacturing a belt is not laid in straight which will prevent it from tracking true
I wonder what this problem would cost me had I purchased on line and had to provide my own mounting & balancing
by the way $9 per tire is what sams charges
this encludes lifetime balance/rotations
hard to beat

1 - 10 of 10 Posts