Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of tires are best for a lady driven E430? I'm looking for the quitest and best wet dry handling tire for my wife's car? She is not a sports car driver but like a nice quite ride that gives good traction in rain.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
The Michelin MXV4 plus tires are a great tire for the car. Any wonder they were the original equiptment. Very quiet, smooth ride and exceptionall treadwear without completely sacrificing the active safety features of a good handling tire. Just my 3.14159 cents.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I put the Continental ContiExtremeContact tires on the E320 Wagon which, for the most part, my wife drives. I, too, was concerned primarily with superior wet and snow traction. An added benefit has been that they're quieter and handle better than the Michelin's they replaced. I have no personal experience yet as to how well they wear.

The Continental ContiExtremeContacts cost half the price of the Michelins, as well as the Bridgestone Turanzas.

-TPh

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have Michelin MXV4 on my car and I find them very smooth and quiete but sleepy on wet surface. I looked at Counsumers Reports ratings and found better tires; here is their list with the recommanded tires indicated with a dot. Hope this can help.

Performance all-season tires. In performance order.
•1 Falken Ziex ZE 512
$60
•2 Bridgestone Turanza LS-H
$100
•3 Bridgestone Potenza RE950
$85
4 Michelin Pilot XGT H4
$85
5 Dunlop SP Sport A2
$65
•6 Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus
$120
7 Pirelli P6 Four Seasons
$75
8 Sumitomo Srixon 4
$65
9 Yokohama A550H
$65
10 Continental ContiTouringContact CH95
$70
11 Kelly Charger HR
$75
12 Cooper Lifeliner Touring SLE
$70
13 Yokohama Avid H4
$70
14 Toyo Proxes TPT
$90
15 Goodyear Eagle LS
$70
16 Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring HR
$70
17 General Exclaim
$75
18 Firestone Affinity LH30
$65

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just had Goodrich Traction T/A's put on my 92 E300. They are smooth and true. A little soft compared to the Pirelli rocks that they replaced, but then again I'm not a race car driver. They are alot less than Michelins But they are made by Michelin.

G

·
0 Posts
I think the Falken 512 and Toyo TPT are great, and so is the Hankook Ventus HRII H405. Check it out.

Shady

·
Registered
23 Posts
I put the Toyo Proxies PX4's on my VW and they're awful as far as handling is concerned. They give quite a bit too much when cornering. And this is on a much lighter vehicle than the E430.

I doubt that you'll find the Bridgestone Turanza's for as low as $100.

I still think that the best tire for the money is the Continental ContiExtremeContact.

TPh

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought the Bridgestone Turanza LS-H 215 55 16's and have found them to be very quite and very good handleing so far. My wife really likes them as they are smooth and quite.

I found them at Costco for $120 each with a $80 rebat for four. I think that was a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just put Bridgestone 750s on our 98 E300 and they are very nice with good price point. Put Pirelli P Zero Neros on my TT and like them also but not sure of sizes. Check surveys at places like tirerack.com or 1010tires.com for feedback.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just checked tire pressures today and they are Bridgestone 950, The 950s are all season and I think the 750s are summers. Seem nice so far.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just put a set of Yokohama Avid H4s on my '92 300E. :D
A huge improvement over the previous Goodyear Aquatred 3's :( that were on the car when I bought it.
Colin 8)

G

·
0 Posts
I was going to go for those, but couldn't find them here in Saudi Arabia. I went for Falken Ziex ZE-512 instead (215/60R15 on OE 7" rims) which are really grippy, but not very comfortable, probably due to the lower aspect ratio (the previous tires were Dunlop SP-65e 205/65R15, which were noisier on bumps - probably due to old age - but noticably more comfortable.) Fuel consumption is also considerably higher now :? , both because of the wider tread and lower overall diameter of the new tires.
Now I'm considering going back to 205/65, probably with Toyo Proxes TPT or Hankook Ventus HRII H405.
Check out the Ziex's in the picture!

Shady

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2002 E320 and did not like the snow and rain handling of the original equipment Michelins. I just went with the ContiExtremeContacts and am pleased so far. Handles much better in the rain and snow and fairly smooth ride.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts