Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys don't know me as well as other mbforums. So I want to make sure I make a bad impression(lol).

Yeah right...Sorry I didn't catch this guy on video. It suprised the heck out of me. Dodge Dakota with the new bodystyle extd. cab 4x4. Emerald Green, and one jerk of a driver.

It started off as this fellow was going too slow in the outside lane. 55-60 mph in a 65 zone was more than I could bear. As we approach a 50 cent tollhouse, I gun it hoping to get in front of him before he has a chance. Only problem is, he had already gunned it before me.

Brace yourself, for what I'm about to tell you may not seem in the LEAST realistic for the 603.

He starts off walking/running away(about 10 mph) from me as I'm in first with my foot past kickdown. Right as I SCREEEECH into second, I catch up to his pace of speed(about two car lengths behind. When I hit 40 - 50 mph, I start to gain a little ground(very, very little mind you). Come third gear and 52 mph, the gain has diminished to nothing. Come 70 mph, I start pulling on him as slowly as before(I am about 1.5 carlengths behind him. Come 80 mph, I am starting to pull pretty quickly(about 2 - 3 mph). Come 85 mph, I shift into 4th, and the oomph to overtake his truck with ease. Speed was about 95 - 100 before we were done. I got past him, and had my way: with all the adrenaline rush one man could ever yearn for.

He gave me the finger at the next tollhouse and sped off again(boy I love New England, sigh). I chuckled to myself: So proud of my diesel, and absolutely astounded by it's performance.

It can't be real. That's what I keep thinking in my head, over and over again. Excuse me, but I am as skeptic as the rest of you guys. What makes some diesels so different from others? This is just insane(makes me wish I had turbodiesel on the back of my trunklid instead of just turbo).

This was a real genuine race with an empty bedded Dakota Dodge 4x4 late model with V8(4x4 was on tailgate not side, which is an indicator) and just the driver: a'yupp fer' sure.

Nothing makes a person more humble in their driving than losing to an old diesel.

From what you guys tell me, there is no possible chance in heck that ANY OM603 car can rise above 148 hp and 232 lb/ft of torque(350's included). I don't believe it. It can't be true....No,... it just isn't, for a fact. Despite what Dr. Booth may say(I have an infinite respect for Dr. Booth's reasoning, however):) .

·
Registered
584 Posts
I know exactly what you are talking about with the badging. My wife has the 603 and it always feels good to drive it after being in the 602 all week. A "diesel" badge would not only be more fun when you blow the doors off somebody, but it might also help with the cops.

Funny how anemic the dodge 360 feels for its size (and the fuel it sucks down), but I just tell myself I got it as a home improvement wagon...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the good thing is that MB corrected the turbo labeling in '94 when they started labeling turbodiesel on the S350 and E300.

Absolutely. I would love to blow the doors off somebody's vehicle and show off that old turbodiesel badge. Bonus points if the engine made a sooty deposit as soon as it pulled ahead. Even more bonus points if the car was rotted throughout and the wheels were chipped 14" bundts and coated with brake dust.

I had a pretty quick 617 diesel before (300D), but it never had the power that this one has at 4K - 5K. The G-force pushes you further back into the seat until 4900 - 5000, where it cuts back boost and fuel enrichment.

The 617 powered W123 seemed to "die out" at speeds above 75 - 80 mph. Probably due in part to the poor drag coeefficient. Below that, she scooted pretty well(probably 11 - 12 secs until 60 mph).

Ah, I remember! It also said "SLT" on the passenger side door(or front fender; I can't recall).

So they suck gas? But they certainly must run forever. You have 250K on your Ram quad cab.

This is exactly the same model as the truck I raced:(except the color was dark green):

This is the car that beat it. :D

So it must've been the 4.7 liter V8. It feels good, oh so good to beat a driver who has no apparent respect for others.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Note, I deduce it to be the 4.7 V8 because it was obviously not an R/T, and it had no badging on the front fenders indicating it was either a Magnum V8 or V6. It was as the last pictures show it, a 4.7 liter.

Now THAT'S a kill. :wink:

·
Registered
584 Posts
My 617 diesel was a non-turbo 123, sporting all of 77hp at best. It never blew the doors off anything, but did ok on the highway and got good fuel economy. I did enjoy giving people the ol' smokescreen every now ant then though.

I actually haven't had the truck that long, but yeah, it sucks gas. The size, weight, and aerodynamics of it all work against it. The PO said the best he saw was 17mpg, but he had alot of highway time as he was a regional sales rep. The truck was dealer maintained since new and the guy had all the reciepts. It really looks like it is close to new, it runs well (knock on wood), and was trimmed almost exactly as I wanted. It came in 2wd with positraction, alloy wheels, 3.5 gears for highway travels, keyless entry alarm, quad cab, towing kit, and a fiberglass tonneau, all for $5500! I just wish it were a diesel!

Anyway, the best mileage I have seen in my local travels is 16mpg, but I got it because a wanted a I wanted a "beater" truck and ended up with basically a new truck that my wife does not mind being seen in. But yes, they do last a long time when properly taken care of. My neighbor in FL had one and racked up more miles than mine and it was still as good as new. Between that and my being able to fix whatever (no need yet), I took the chance on this bargain and have not been disappointed.

Nice looking car, BTW!

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Palomino leather. No extra options either. Alas, I have no positrac for the snow and ice that will plague the Northeast this winter.:(

Thanks for the comment, Cracker. I appreciate it. Glad you are happy with your truck. Hope it provides many more years of reliable service. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Cool mine was pretty tired when I bought it, probably wasn't to far away from beign junked. :( But I'm bringing her back, she is about 50% done. My interior is black cloth, thats one of the reasons I bought her I wanted something rare and I have never seen another SDL with a cloth interior.

My solution to the winter is a $500 Japanes beater. I have a line on a nice 1987 Honda Accord that should get me threw a few winters. I have to much time and money into this car to let it rust.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good idea.

These cars can be a little tough to take care of in the winter.

From the 126, under the trunklid by the rear window seal. That needs to be monitored and waxed about every two weeks. Otherwise it will leak. The body sheet metal itself is pretty resistant to rust. But you have to watch the quarters and fronts. There are rubber gaskets that deteriorate and leak causing rust behind the panels. You can replace the front fenders, but the rear quarters require a bit of bodywork to replace(cut and weld).

I make sure to recoat the underbody of the car to stand up to the salt. Of all things the frame is THE most important part of the car. Quite obviously.:eek:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, and good luck with your car. Drive it hard and fast, and I'm sure you will be happy with it.

Velour upholstery. Wow, though. Those are perfect seats for the cold months approaching. I am envious.:(

·
Registered
4 Posts
I guess this thread has been dorment for a few weeks, but anyway speaking of rust both my 85 190E and 87 300D suffer rust and rot-thru at you guessed it, jack inserts!

During the summer of 03, I got brave and ground down to metal and dried the moisture out and applied West epoxy resin over the metal then after it cured, more West with balloons (bondo like, but wont absorb moisture) I did both rears, the fronts too, but only they had a little surface rust as the rears had a number of pin holes just beginning. Thinking I solved the issue, looking at it this year, I was wrong! In fact, all that I did for the rears was for nothing at all since there is more rust and now holes!

I checked on the internet for what I thought to find would be some of that rust stopper I've heard about from over the years and discovered to my surprise that there is really no such thing! I read articles educating people about what may be considered a myth today! It also disclaimed any success with what they call now "scam artists" selling people on "impressed anode systems" protection that is now being marketed for cars. They have been prooved eronious unlike boats, cars have no water conductive for this type system! (it hooks up to your battery)

Zinc chromate is for non-ferrous! (aluminum) So as I've learned, there is not anything out there any much better than Rustolium! They say that the only thing that can make paint successful is proper preparation and seal moisture from migrating.

Anyway, just wondered if anybody has any secrets to share short of doing serious metal welding!

·
Registered
26 Posts
My jack points had a little surface rust on them. I ground them down to shiney clean metal and painted them with Rustolium and then a few coats of a good enamal. (sp?) I then covered them in some nice axle grease hopefully this solves the problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts