Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Way back when I had my 911 I was a junior member of the Porsche Club.

I loved it not just because it afforded the chance to check out other guys' cars but it allowed us to pool some $$ and go rent out a track once in a while. It was at Shannonville that you really got a chance to push the car and see what is really meant by the term "Sports Car".

It's really got very little to do with straight lining on a 400 series highway or doubling ++ posted off ramp speeds... fearing lasertag with an OPP all the while.

On the track it’s all about timing and grace.... the development of a relationship and tacit understanding between you and the car. You get to feel the car and can come to respect it for what its designers built into it. And most of all, you learn to communicate with the car as its movements, vibrations and sounds speak to you at every apex... telling you what it will do, what it won't... what you can do and what you really shouldn't.

Think you love your car now? Just wait till you get good with it on the track.

Anyway, just a thought for us GTA guys. I'm not talking about inventing secret handshakes or wearing imbecilic hats in the musty basement of some wreched old hall. Just a loose club of guys that get together once in a while to celebrate the genius of this little car with like-minded, somewhat responsible adults.

Imagine pulling up to a dozen other polished up coupes, and then chasing them around a track for an hour or two. With NO COPS or insurance brokers clucking their tongues at you.

What do you think?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sounds good.

We should also try to get a deal on replacement rubber, brakes, clutches after the track.

I went to a few Ontario Corvette Club meetings. A lot of tech talk but the best part was the cruise to the pub/restaurant with about 20 to 50 vettes. They would also have guaranteed parking infront of whatever place they would go. The best event is Wassaga beach.

If we can get about 20 coupes and cruise down to say Yorkville to Sassafraz or the Entertainment district to Milestones.

If we can get MB sponsorship event better!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Definate Maybe

Alright, guess I'll scratch the track idea.

As an alternative, how 'bout we schedule a meet at Whiskey A Go Go's?

:wink:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was concerned about the track issue, most standard auto insurance policies are void unless there is some form of off road use clause.

The idea of regular (quarterly meetings) is definitely a viable proposal. May I suggest that unless you have at least 10 confirmed attendees for any event that it be rescheduled. You might also consider inviting some of our Buffalo, Ottawa, Hamilton, London and perhaps even Montreal and Detroit friends to join in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I definately agree with the Toronto Coupe Club idea..it is also an excellent idea to invite our neighbours to join us for the meets..I think after we get enough people intrested ...then we could decide on a meeting location...as long as there are no rice rockets around..just classy Coupes!! :wink:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sounds like a great idea, just the other day I was searching for a Mercedes club in the Toronto area, but all I found was a general club for all types of Mercedes, having a club just for us sport coupe owners would be great.

Keep me posted !!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts