Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the endless issues with my electrical system, guages, lights, sensors, etc. I have found out today that my brake lights don't work at all. I start the car and then as soon as I push the brake...the ESP light comes on and my brake lights do not work at all? All three rear lights do not work now. I checked the fuse and its fine. What silly electrical thing should I be looking for now?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
The stop lamp switch. Look under the lf dash panel near the upper middle of the brake pedal lever. Change it. Warranty if you still qualify, cheap part and minimal labor if you don't. Very simple DIY.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the info. I checked for the switches and the relays on my 2000 C280 and they were not under the dash. I beleive them to be next to the fuses under the hood closest to the driver. There are 5 relays labelled ABCD and F. You wouldn't happen to know which does wich?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Don't waste your time. This is one of the most common failures. You have an intermittently implausible signal coming from the stop lamp switch. I can say with 99% certainty that this is the cause of your problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you very much. I finally found it. I took it out cleaned it up and ordered a new part. The old one works fine now and cleaned up the ESM,/BAS light and cruise control. I have the new part on hand if any issues arise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts