Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car is a C180, made in 2001.

The problem is that the key is unable to turn. The central locking and the entire electronics has failed. The car is dead.

For the past six weeks, this would happen but after repeated attempts, over upto two hours, the key would eventually turn. But for the last three days at no point would the car start or the key turn. The electronics have completely failed.

Has anyone else experienced this problem. I think this general system has been in use in Europe in E and C classes since about 1999.

Any suggestions as to what this is or how it could be solved. We've checked with a mechanic who has heard of this happening but Mercedes are not being too helpful.

Is there any possibility this is a design fault?

Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I can tell you one thing:

The only way to get the ignition tumbler out of my car IS to turn the key.

My tumbler went bad and I had to get that tumbler drilled out, about $700 later.

While the tumbler was going bad, if I gave it a slight push "in" (towards the engine), it would turn.

bottom line = if your tumbler is going bad, replace it while you can still turn the key. I can't imagine a tumbler going bad at that age, but I hear about all sorts of problems with the *new* cars.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem about 2 months ago my c180 2001 was being tempremental and every other time i used the car it was not opening or starting straight away!
It has now got worse everytime i want to use the car i can't open it or start it for ages!
And i'm having to resort to freezin on my motorbike!

Have you solved the problem yet?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts