Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did some car shopping, and got some appraisals on my C230K (2002). In case anyone is thinking of doing the same anytime soon, be warned - our cars aren't worth much. I have never had a car that has depreciated so badly - so fast! :x

·
Registered
42 Posts
SORRY TO HEAR THIS.......

Would you consider posting the numbers behind the story? purchase price,trade in quote add ons like sun roof ,heated seats, etc.
thank you :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Maybe you paid too much to start with. I'm a licensed auto appraiser and i am still very pleased with the current value of my 2002 C230!.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Car Value

I agree with Beavis. I paid like 28k for mine. Now, with 25k miles on it, I could get like 15k on a trade in or 18k private party. Ouch.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I paid just a little over 28k with the C2 and C7 packages. Added the CD changer and the phone system. Cloth interior. With 26k+ miles, the Mercedes dealer didn't offer me much - basically a break-even for my payoff. I was looking at a C240 with 4matic. Did some of my own research (Kelley blue book) and also got an appraisal from another (non-Benz) dealer. He made a lot of calls to get a good number and it was about the same: $17,500. My fear now was what's it going to be worth in 6 months or 1 year from now considering the miles will continue to roll at over 500/week?

My feeling is that this model does not hold much value. I think sales of it are slumping for new and used. I wanted a little more comfort, which is why I looked at the 240. I also wanted the all wheel drive for winter (tired of slip-sliding-away every time the roads are snowy).

Ended up trading the car yesterday. Not for a Benz though. Got a VW Passat W8. I much preferred the ride and comfort of the Passat over the MB 240. You would have to go up to an E class to get close (and we all know that they are $$). The Passat has every bell and whistle possible - was cheaper - and WILL hold its value. I've had VW's before and they are great.

So, I guess now that I've spilled the beans - you'll all kick me out of the forum. :cry:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hold it's value eh? The W8 lists for 39,000. A 2002 W8 with 25,000 miles has a trade-in value(KBB and Edmunds) of 23,000 in excellent condition. For those of you that are bad at math that is a $16k drop.

I think a $10k drop for a 2 year old car is very reasonable. Keep in mind the dealer has to make money and really could care less what you paid for the car. At that point the dealer is trying to sell a 2 year old car for @$6k less than a new car...which would you take?

As a side note, VW makes a good car and I am not bashing them.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm certainly not trying to cast aspersions on the overall value of the C class, but keep in mind that the C230 and C320 (not to mention the CLK line) are vastly different. Bottom line is that for me personally, I was disappointed. Hope all you have better fortune.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Resale value !

:roll: Agreed resale value from multiple sources on a 2003 C230 SC in TX, US with Sunroof/Sports/CD etc options with 7K miles is only $ 18K, I paid 30K for the car 10 months ago. Thats worse then how much my 2002 Eclipse GT went down on resale value in the same time frame. :!:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Testdrive, have you considered moving to the southeast? Your ride has a retail of 25K around here! It might be worth it to move out of Texass.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The used car market really sucks and has since 9/11. Manufacturer rebates from the American car makers (including D/C) and 0% financing have killed the market and it has yet to recover.

Therefore, it is best to buy what you want and drive it. If you worry about resale, you won't enjoy what you have.

Cars are depreciating assets. More so now than ever. So the best advice is to buy for the long term. Don't buy new if you plan on selling within 5 years.

·
Registered
20 Posts
sept. I found a red 2003 c230 coupe with 1500 miles on the clock
I began to deal for it
after a little research on the web I discovered Mercedes offering cash on end of year models
when confronted with this info my sales chic crumbled
not only did she fess up to the MB money she also revealed $1000 cut from the dealer
I ended up with a brand new(silver) $30,100 car out the door for $25,400
as for value loss,(IMHO)if you plan on keeping a vehicle less than 3 years you may save money by leasing
of course there are many factors ,high milage one of them that could ruin this theory
I plan to keep mine until I fancy something I'm willing to(A wait for
(B take the loss on my coupe and go for it
we'll see

1 - 15 of 15 Posts