Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in southern NH, and the winters are tough. I currently have a '93 300D with 167k miles.
It runs perfect, pampered in every respect.
However, it is d-i-e-s-e-l. Which translates into a very slow automobile.
I was just browsing around at a few dealerships and I found a beautiful 1994 E-320. The body style is new, and it is a light tan with tan leather inside. It is in incredible condition, very VERY clean. It has all options, the heated seats, traction control (needed for the New England Winters, cassette and 6 disc cd in the trunk, and ohh it has the beautiful 3.2 litre 217 h.p. Merceds Benz I-6. The straight 6 runs fantastic, and pulls the car better than the small turbo'd diesel inline 5 i have now.
Question: the transmission seems to not want to shift when driven. I test drove and it seemed to hold gears until it redlined. Could this be a transmission problem? Is this normal?

Should I make this move?

Sam

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm not an expert but holding till the redline all the time can't be normal. I do know that upon start-up the transmission
tends to hold gear till about 3000 rpm until the transmission is warmed up. This is normal according to a service bulletin
that I read.

If the car has the 5 speed automatic, it is adaptive and adjusts to the way you drive. Consequently, it will hold
a gear if you drive with a heavy foot.

There are many E320's around - if you are suspicious of this particular one, I'd say to keep looking.

Good Luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts