Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to Mercedes ownership and am hoping to get some advice on my crazy transmission.

I bought an '82 240d a few weeks ago. Since I've owned it, it has shifted rather quickly into 2nd gear but only upshifts to 3rd when in 2nd if I rev the engine high (around 25-30mph in second), then back off the throttle a lot and wait 2-3 seconds.

The fluid looks good and my mechanic checked the vacuum and said that it was ok and that they thought the problem was some internal transmission failure. I could live with it as it was but...

Drove it home from the shop, nothing had changed. Then, I drive it later that day and after a few blocks it shifts into 2nd then starts slipping/bucking. I drove it home slowly. The next morning it worked as normal for about 4 miles then started to slip/buck again. The transmission won't work when it's warm. I plan to change the filter tomorrow as my last hope before I decide to either ditch it or get another transmission. The rest of the car is in really good shape and I hate to loose it.

Has anyone had anything like this or know what it might be? Thank you so much for any help you can give.

bk

·
Registered
584 Posts
Good reading here:

http://www.continentalimports.com/ser_ic20242.html

Basically the things to remember with these trasmissions is that

1)the tightnes of the cable between the throttle assembly and the tranny controls the shift points. Tighter=higher rpm shifting.

2)...and the vacuum pressure controls shift quality. Assuming good vacuum supply and healthy modulator, there is a small key under a rubber cap on the modulator to adjust shift quality.

Lack of vacuum tends to cause hard shifts, so maybe the modulator is bad, or just poorly adjusted.

3) And then there is the b-2 piston that is well explained in the link above.

If the adjustments don't work, and the piston is OK (i believe that it can be changed without a rebuild), then it may be time for a rebuild.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

Thanks for the info!

Do you know what might make a transmission slip only when it's warm?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Sorry, I really don't know. My reading suggests the b-2 piston. Does it shift OK when cold?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It does shift ok when cold, just starts slipping once it's warm. I tried adjusting the modulator and that did nothing, I suspect that it's (vacuum) not the problem. I'll be looking for a new transmission soon:(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts