Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just found what I think is a decent deal on a Benz 280 and I love it. I have the car on hold till this coming wednesday when it will be paid for. The question I have is that when I test drove the car today the trans shifted funny TO ME. I have never owned a benz before so I have no idea if this is the way the trans is suppose to shift. Here's the details.

The car was not runned for at least a week or more (didn't ask) so the guy had to jump the battery. Car started fine and we warmed it up a bit and drove it. The first gear that kicked in felt normal to me but than the second gear took twice or even close to 3x longer than the first gear change.

Is this normal with the c280 or is this trans going out? When I checked the oil in the engine it was very very low. Did not check the trans oil so it MIGHT be low as well, I don't know. Anyway, it felt that by the SECOND test drive the trans changed a LITTLE faster.

Any suggestion from you guys/girls? If the trans is going out any ideas what they will go for installed? I'm going to pay $6,800 for it this wenesday and would appreciate a headsup. Btw, it runs very nice and looks brand new.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Alotta times it's kinda normal for the first 1-2 shift after you start the car up to be alittle hesitant when the trans is cold. But, depending on how many miles are on the car and trans, the clutch packs might be getting alittle bit of play in them, causing it to shift alittle rougher than when new. I'd try to get a prebuyers inspection on it before you buy it buy someone who knows these cars up and down.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply zewerr. I'm going to drive again saturday and see how it feels. In my area it's hard to fins a good mechanic specially one that knows MB and can be trusted. To have the dealer check will be costly and I don't trust them either. They will probably tell it's no good and than call a sales man.

The car has 114,000 miles, and to ME I would not mind spending on anew trans from the dealer if it goes bad 6-10 months from now. From what I read here it would run about $5,000 something. Sounds nuts I know but the car rides really good and looks almost new. AND I NEED a car by this friday and I have not found anything this good here in chicago. Ebay and other places have good prices but I'm not driving aout of my town. So for now this car is perfect, just wish I knew if the trans was going or not.

Btw, going from 1st to 2nd takes longer than all the cars I have had. It just revs higher/longer than shifts. Does this car have some kind of "sport switch" were if it did it could be in sport mode and that's why it takes longer to shift?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Ooooooh, your talking about a how long it stays in 1st. I thought you were talking about how long it actually took to shift. Now that depends on what year the car is and what transmission it has.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Zewerr, the problem is being focused between 2nd and 3rd gear. I found in my manual that it is normal for the shifting to take longer between 2nd and 3rd. It says it does that to keep the cat converter hot. I did buy the car and I'm glad I did. I still have a few issues which I posted this in another thread. Hopefully someone will be of help soon.

Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts