Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got me a 2001 E320 this past weekend. I notice on my drive way, the trans fluid is leaking. I checked for the dip stick like my older benz, but this does not have a dip stick.

How do I check for the fluid level and how can I add fluid to the tranny.

Are this trans monitored by a computer for the fluid level and how am I going to know if it needs more fluid.

Also, the gear indicator on the dahbord does not show up at all. I can not tell if I am on "D", "R", or "1", "2"...

Second, where can the fluid leak out?:confused:

·
Registered
58 Posts
You need to buy a special tool which is essentially a dip stick, but it doesn't get left behind in the tube.

Your trans could be leaking from front/rear seal..pan gasket..to name a few!

Best get it to your local indy, have them give the car a look over/post purchase inspection.

Jonathan

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
If the trans was leaking, you should take the car back. If it was not from a dealer, then you are screwed and will have to have it fixed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just got me a 2001 E320 this past weekend. I notice on my drive way, the trans fluid is leaking. I checked for the dip stick like my older benz, but this does not have a dip stick.

How do I check for the fluid level and how can I add fluid to the tranny.

Are this trans monitored by a computer for the fluid level and how am I going to know if it needs more fluid.

Also, the gear indicator on the dahbord does not show up at all. I can not tell if I am on "D", "R", or "1", "2"...

Second, where can the fluid leak out?:confused:
Advice to visit the M/Benz workshop ....

the Dipstick for ATF is a Special tool ... for 722.6 (Electronic Gear System)

Insufficient ATF may cause the serious Damages to the transmission..
and is A COSTY repairs ...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You need to buy a special tool which is essentially a dip stick, but it doesn't get left behind in the tube.

Your trans could be leaking from front/rear seal..pan gasket..to name a few!

Best get it to your local indy, have them give the car a look over/post purchase inspection.

Jonathan
Thanks for the advice. I did buy the dip stick. Do I check the fluid when the car is idling on park or on drive?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Drive the car for a good 15+ minutes to be Sure the trans is Fully up to temp...it takes a while..

Check level no less then 1 minute after putting the car in park. If you have someone else around that you trust, have them hold the car in gear/brake on etc..and check.

Check no less then 3X..it never reads exactly the same each time!

Jonathan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts