Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ML320, 98 had a leaking transmission oil pan gasket about 2 years ago. It was replaced by independent Mercedes/BMW garage.
Today, while doing Schedule B the same shop tells me that my transmission cooling lines and a plug on the transmission itself are leaking. Thus, needs to be replaced. I don't know which plug but I assume the trany doesn't have that many and will be easy to spot one up. The mechanic priced the cooling lines @$450 and overall labor $420.
Question, is it something that DYIer can perform or special attention (i.e. refeeling the Trans fluid) is need it to do the job?

I don't think it is leaking bad, as I never noticed any marks on the ground. Well, it is my wife's car and I do drive it rarely.

Thanks,

·
Registered
678 Posts
The plug is most likely the main electrical connector to the transmission. These always leak on 722.6 trans. The cooler lines are also known to leak alot on 163 ML's as well. Usually, they don't leak that badly, though. Usually alittle seepage. But the connector tend to leak alittle or alot. And when they leak alot, there's always the possiblility that the fluid would trace up the harness and take out your ETC module, which can be rather spendy.

That price on the cooler lines seems rather steep. Actually, really steep. Parts shouldn't cost that much (I can't see the lines costing more than $200, I forget what we sell them for), and the labor should only be about 1.5-2 hours.

Doing the job yourself might be rather difficult. It's basically impossible to correct the fluid level accurately without the special dipstick and scan tool to check the fluid temperature. There's also some special tools to take off the fan as well, which you would need to do.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Zewerr. I got it.

Another question:
I need to replace rear breaks and rotos. I heard that I have to do something special to remove the rotors (releasing ebreaks). Can you provide some guideliness please?

Thanks,

·
Registered
678 Posts
No, not really. It's just like any other car, except easier, since the parking brake is seperate from the caliper. So it's alot like doing front brakes. No need to turn the pistons back into the caliper.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Zewerr.

I will replace the rear rotors and breaks myself and let the mechanic handle the transmission leak issues.

Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts