Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently after driving approx 100 miles when I came to a stop I heard a ratcheting sound just about the time the vehicle has fully stopped .. Then the vehicle transmission goes into PARK mode.. The ratcheting sound started about 2 mph and sounds like the transmission trying to shift into PARK .. So when stopped the steering column shift lever is showing Park without me touching it.. I then try to shift into drive and the lever indicator bounces around D then P then D and then park without me touching the column shift lever... the only way it will stay in D is by shutting down the engine , restarting the car and then shift into D.. But at the next stop the above described problem repeats.
Letting the car sit overnight the vehicle after a cold shut down then drives normal and the problem does not repeat itself for approx another 200-300 miles. Driving consists of a combination of city and highway... .. Then the above described condition repeats itself..
My local MB dealer did a diagnostic check, kept the car for several days drove it but could not experience the described problem ..This has happened 3 times over the past 800 miles.. Vehicle is in excellent contidion, mileage is 120,000miles (195,000 kms) Help please...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Mine did that but only when I was driving with the door ajar, which I do because I have to unlock/lock a gate to drive through so why bother closing it all the way. The deal is it senses that the door is open and give an alarm as such, but if the door moves in far enough to push the button then open again which is just wee bit, into park it goes as you described. I HATE this safety feature just like almost all safety features because they're made for stupid people by stupid people. I also hate that I was searching forums as to why because clearly it could not be a door ajar because that would be flat out retarded...
So while you don't have my exact issue you are suffering via the same basic stupid idea. So here's some info on it I found: benzworld.org/threads/car-throwing-itself-into-park-no-door-open.2181682

1 - 3 of 3 Posts