Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed the engine on my 300ce. The last one threw a rod right through the oil pan and dented the cross member. Opting to buy a used engine, I pulled the engine and tranny out together. I pulled the old engine off, removed the drive plate off the blown engine and placed it on the new one. I matched the torque converter exactly to the drive plate. Now, the engine starts perfectly. However, when I shift the darn stick into drive----a rough tapping sound emits from the bell housing. Any advice? Could this be a bad torque converter?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Checked the flex disc?

You're not driving it are you?

When the engine threw the rod, everything lock right up, right? The car was driving down the road at the time?

This will put extraordinary force on the flex discs.

It's the rubber deal that links the output of the transmission to the front of the driveshaft. It is not a pretty sight when these break loose. Your airbag will probably deploy if you are on the road when it breaks. It will also grab surrounding linkages and whatnot and wrap them around the end of the transmission. It will also take out your center carrier bearing and the transmission mount. There is something wrong with the flex disc itself or something isn't balanced quite right. When taking these components apart it is good to mark them before you disassemble so that the driveshaft, the flex dissc, and the output on the tranny are lined up exactly like they were before you took it apart.

I have had a front flex disc break on my 300SD and it was downright scary.

Did you reuse the old flex disc and bolts or did you get a new set (the disc comes with new bolts)?

If you have a new flex discs, you put the bolts on the correect orientation, then somthing else was tweaked in the drive line when the engine threw the rod.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts