Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After taking my car (1985 300cd) to the shop for a transmission replacement, they thought the replacement (salvaged)tranny was bad. But when I checked it the tranny fluid was pepto colored(no clue why). I realized that the shifting in the car was off by a place.

i.e. P is actually nothing
R is P
N is R
D is N
S is D
L is S
and I would suppose that L is located about where I keep my ciggies

Does anybody have an idea how to fix this. Pictures and/or diagrams would be helpful as I have the dirtiest engine compartment around.

Furthermore I have run into an ethical dillema. I took the car back when the shop was closed on a sat. and they had left the shop keys on the floor board. Should I call the shop and ask them to tow the car somewhere? or Should I let sleeping dogs lie?

Finally, Does anybody know where I can find a vacuum diagram for my car I have a problem that only DIY could appreciate... After replacing the oil filter, now that the car is running, I cant stop it (with the key). I have to get out and hit the manual stop on the engine.

I know this touches previous threads but I cant for the life of me get back to them. Thanks for the time guys.

·
Registered
584 Posts
The pepto coloring would lead me to believe there was water in the transmission. Was the fluid changed after retrieval from the junk car? MAybe I misunderstood the situation...

It sounds like a simple problem with your transmission, being a matter of the linkage being put onto the transmission when the shifter and the transmission did not agree on a gear. It can be a PITA to play with, counting the clicks on the input shaft to the transmission until you have it in the gear that the shifter is in. I know that I might be repeating myself here, but it is easier to show than to describe, and I have no pictures..

Basically, it can be fixed without opening up the transmission, but be careful of the neutral safety switch, as it is also a real PITA (but kind of the same job). Don't worry about the dirty engine compartment, since this is accessed from under the car. An extra pair of hands might be helpful.

Use jack stands or ramps so you can access the transmission. Block the wheels and use the e-brake. Put the car in R (actually "P"), find where the shift control rod linkage meets the transmission, and pop it off the splined shaft. Move the gearshifter into "P" and pop the control linkage back onto the transmission and secure it. Problem should be fixed. WYAIT, change the transmission fluid.

As far as leaving the keys in the car goes, it sounds like somebody does not have any respect for your property. You could just take it, then call the mechanic and ask if the car is ready yet :lol:

·
Registered
453 Posts
dolewhite2 said:
... After replacing the oil filter, now that the car is running, I cant stop it (with the key). I have to get out and hit the manual stop on the engine.
It is likely that when you changed the oil filter you knocked loose one of the vacuum lines. Look around and trace each vacuum line on that side of the engine and see if you can locate the open line. The shut off valve on the side of the injection pump cuts off the fuel and kills the engine. If you do not have enough vacuum it will not work.

·
Registered
191 Posts
What was the condition of the linkage rod bushings? They can wear to the point the lever will not throw far enough to get the tranny in the proper position. This problem usually shows up in the form of the neutral safety switch not allowing you to start the car.

-Scott

1 - 4 of 4 Posts