Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all. I have a 1985 300D that I have recently purchased and I believe that it still has the trap oxidizer installed. It has the air filter that is deep and mounted on the driver side wheel well just inside the headlight. I checked with a dealer and he said that the car was serviced twice with a leaking trap oxidizer. My question is whether or not I should try to remove the thing or just leave well enough alone. Any suggestions. More to come. -ED

·
Registered
584 Posts
The trap oxidizer is the canister looking thing pictured here beneath the turbo. These were later replaced with what lloks like a pipe in a recall. I thought these were only on CA cars for the 123 chassis...Are you in California?

Anyway, take a look and see if you can spot this thing attached to the turbo. If you do have it, then I would recommend replacement. Try to see if your dealer will still do it under recall, as I have heard repeadly that many will do this in spit of age. If not, then check e-bay or your local boneyard for the part.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Cracker, Yes I am in California. I am in the Bay Area, and as far as I know the automobile has been in Southern California until I bought it. I talked to MBUSA today and they said that the update has already been done and that the TO was changed to catalyst of some sort. I looked at the picture that you sent and I must say the picture is an exact replica of what I have on my engine. Are the catalyst and the TO in similar containers or is MBUSA looking at the wrong information in their computers? I will call them again tomorrow and check the part number out with their database. The body is perfect with no rust and there are only a few small things that need to be done mechanically. The engine only has 156,000 miles on it and runs very strong. I would hate to have a TO come apart and take the engine down since the automobile is in such excellent shape. I have been working on it for about a month and of all the trucks and autos I have worked on, the MB's are a real pleasure. The craftsmanship is really top notch. Does anyone know where to get a rebuilt steering box for a reasonable price? I have been quoted $420.00US so far. Thank you again for the help and the picture is truly worth a thousand words. More to come. -ED

·
Registered
584 Posts
I do believe the replacement was similar to the one for my '87 which got rid of the big canister, and replaced it with what looks like a pipe.

I never had a CA spec diesel so I am not a real authority on this, but in '87 (OM 603 engine) all the US diesels had the same issue as your cal-spec OM 617 engine.

I strongly agree that Mer-B's are among the easiest to work on. It cracks me up when mechanics say how hard it is to work on a benz when you ask for an estimate. Tells you all you need to know in that sentence (try someone else). It encourages you to be a DIY. Speaking of which, I have a links page you may find helpful: http://groups.msn.com/thediygang/mbenzlinks.msnw

On the second page there is a a link to an online manual for your engine.

A couple of things I would do if I were in your situation: Adjust the valves, change all fiilters, and change the water pump. My H2O pump failed at about 180K when I had an '81 300d, and left damage that eventually killed the engine. Just my .02

-Neil

1 - 4 of 4 Posts