Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks, i m new here and i m in desperate need of assistance.

I have a '99 230K and one of the fuses was blown. the fuse in questions is the one for the central lock. The fuse box is located in my trunk. I tried to use the manual key to open the trunk but i can only stick the key in half way (i ve always use the remote to open the trunk).

I sprayed WD40 and other products to release the rust that was build up in the key hole. Though i was able to insert the key a little deeper i still can't open the trunk. Is there any other way to open the trunk other than to bust the key hole?? (which i dont want to do) :cry:
Thank you.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I would be a little more persistent with the WD40 method. I had the exact same problem with my old C Class after never having had use the key hole before. Put a rag around.below the key hole and spray away. Then insert and remove the key multiple times while jiggling it ever so slightly (you fon't want to break the key). It took me nearly 15 minutes of wrestling with it to finally get the thing to open, but it did happen.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx for the reply I guess i ll keep spraying away.....HOwever do you know another product that is stronger than WD40?
Thanx for the help.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I don't know that it is "stronger", but I've also used silicone spray in keyholes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello,

So far i ve tried WD40 and Release All, though i must admit i was able to get the key inserted a little deeper ( about 3/4 way instead of half like before) but once again i'm still not able to get it in to open my trunk. I was going to use Silicon spray like suggest but its been rainning and havent had the chance. I just feel like hammering my key into the slot....its so frustrating!!! :evil: Does anyone else have any suggestions on what to do. I m gonna keep trying the WD40 and the Silicon spray in the meantime. Thanx for the help

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That would be my last resort. I just hope it doesnt mean blowing up or drilling the key hole and having it replaced. i was making progress with the WD40 because i couldnt even enter my key half way before! I think i just have to be more persistent however i just wish there was a fuse somewhere in the front or even in the car where i can activate the central lock. This is a really stupid problem to have. I ll keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still stuck in the hole!

Well its been almost a month and i ve tried everything from WD 40 to Liquid Wrench to Silicon Spray. I finaly had to call a lock smith and guess what! NADA locksmith wouldnt even touch the thing saying i would be best to go to a dealer!. :x I went to the dealer and was told it could be a couple a hundred $$ to get it fixed (replace lock) because it might not be rust thats in the key hole, could be a deffective key hole! I was really really ticked! I had the car inspected not too long ago (Sept 03) and this was not reported on my sheet. I quickly then wrote to mercedesbenz.ca about my problem hoping that i would be able to get this fixed at no cost or just pay for service charge since it wasn't my fault and the fact that i had the car inspected. I hoping to get a positive response and see what happens. Just wanted to let you guys know..... wish me luck!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Good luck indeed! Keep us posted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Folks just wanted to give you an update on my trunk key hole problem...well i ve talked to "manager" of customer care @ mercedesbenz.ca ...well no such luck. They wouldnt want to fix the problem unless of course i pay for it. It said in my inspection that all doors (include trunk) was inspected at the time...now i wonder when they said test do they mean Hey the door opens...it works! Did they actually use the mech key to test it out instead of remote....i wonder.

Anyways he told me that there was nothing they could do unless of course i pay and that since i havent taken the car in for service that "i am neglecting my car" Now what kind of response is that...DO I REALLY HAVE TO TAKE THE CAR TO A DEALER TO GET IT FIXED?? I yelled, I am not aloud to change the oil myself??? ....I said he was full of it and speaking of neglecting I waited 4 weeks to get a response!

ANyways i havent had much time to fix the car but does anybody know how to access to the trunk without opening the trunk door?? Anyways keep you guys posted. Thanx for the help.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I would check the banner at the top of the screen (importpartsonline.com).

If they are unable to provide the part for you, the dealer is really the only other option.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Trick or Treat?

Just thought i d give you guys an update....

I finally got my key fully inserted into the trunk key hole!!! :D
The only thing is...... I can't turn the blasted key!!! :x
Its almost as if that the key was not ment for the lock !?! Its very stiff
so i continued to use a bit of graphite lubricant and vinegar and it helped losen things a bit, so we'll see....

So close yet so far... :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts