Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, Our turbo unit just blew up- white smoke and all. Took it off - the front fions were broken and the bearing loosened. I heard that there was a recall on this and or trap oxidizer that might be related to something flying in the turbo and will speak with the dealer but first thought I would find out from you guys. Whats up? Thanks

·
Registered
584 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss. It sounds as though a rebuild is out of the question.

The trap oxidizer was recalled due to it beraking apart internally and bits getting sucked into the turbo and ruining it. A good visual reference to tell if you have it can be found at:

http://groups.msn.com/thediygang/mercedesbenz.msnw?action=get_message&mview=0&ID_Message=597&LastModified=4675447998611050349

I have heard that the recall also affected the turbo, but I am not clear on the details. I am guessing that if the oxidizer has been replaced, it is not likely that your turbo will be replaced by the dealer. A search at the alldata.com website should be able to help you.

-Neil

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had this recall done a three or four years back when I owned an 87 300D (124). Mercedes replaced the turbo and the trap oxidizer (or just removed the latter and replaced the pipe) even though the car ran fine. They also left a bunch of vacumn lines and other fittings loose. Shoddy work under warranty.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts