Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Generally speaking, can a non-turbo injection pump be used in a boosted application ?. Do the non-turbo pumps have the pressure sensing capability to richen the fuel in accordance with the manifold pressure ? (I've read as much as I could find on the operation of the "ALDA" etc.).

I have the opportunity to buy either a 300D or 240D non-turbo engine, but I will certainly need to boost them for my application (particularly the 240D). Providing boost is not a problem for me, but it may not be worth it if I need to find a decent turbo'd pump.

Thank You

·
Registered
64 Posts
Let me begin by admitting I am NOT a mechanic in any way, shape, or form. That being said...When I purchased my 240D, I was curious about the possibility of putting a turbo on it. I found an article (May '83 Car & Driver, I think) about a calloway turbo put in an '83 240D. Nowhere in the article did they mention anything about "upgrading/replacing" the injection pump. Because of this, I would assume the injection pump for a non-turbo vehicle WOULD be sufficient.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info

Your info does seem to lend support. I think the aneroid for barometric correction found on the later model pumps may provide enrichment that follows at least some turbo boost. I am considering the same on a non turbo 5 cyl as I have got both engines at my disposal. The non turbo five apparently does not have as sophisticated of an oiling system (squirters) but I only intend to use mild boost.

For those of you that may be upset that I am committing a crime against Mercedes cars by robbing them of engines, please understand the engines here greatly outlast the cars which are well beyond saving !

Gary

·
Registered
66 Posts
application

just out of curiousity, what are you using the engine(s) for ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your interest,

I am looking at putting a Mercedes diesel in my Jeep Wrangler. The turbo 5 cyl would be the obvious choice, but it has an oil pan that is deep in the front and would probably not fit too well. The 4 cyl 240D engine, though also deep in the front, is short enough in length that it clears the front axle. The 240D engine however would probably be underpowered, thus I am considering using it with a turbo...thus the injection pump question. Also, I have access to a couple of 5 cyl non-turbo engines, which may be ok, but would still benefit from a bit of boost (I know about the oiling system differences...oil squirters for piston cooling and lube etc.).

·
Registered
66 Posts
how close is the turbo 5 from clearing the front axle?

if its only a few inches, you could always run a dry sump
oiling system which would save you about 3 inches on the very bottom
of the engine. (the oil pan would be flat )

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought about a dry sump, but it doesn't go along with my desire to rely on what appears to be an extremely reliable engine, not to mention the expense. The 5 cyl engine would have to located over the front axle, as is the shallow end of the pan of the current I6, but the pan would be right on top of the axle...one bump and its crushed.

I declined the NA 5 cyl...whole car for 400$ (car was rough). Its gone now. I should have bought it just to take the pan apart to see if the pump, pickup and pan could be reworked, though the pump and pickup appears to be tucked close to the front and bottom of the pan.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts