Benz Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbocharger for a 240D?

9K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  maptgpkrp 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone:

I've just recently purchased my first-ever diesel...an '82 240D with automatic transmission. My question is...has anyone any knowledge/experience/directions on whether or not this engine can be turbocharged?

Any info/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

#4 ·
Depends. If you want to buy just a generic performance turbo, you might find what you are looking for at ebay perhaps. If you are looking for a stock mbenz turbo you might have to visit a junkyard or steal it from someone else's car :p

Vacum lines are important! This old motors do not have oxigen sensors or anything computer-like. So when the turbo boosts the the injection pump does not "know" when to inject more fuel. So a vacum line goes from the turbo to the injection pump.

An intercooler would also be nice. Go for 14psi boost if you can. I predict almost 300hp with 14psi if you do it right.

#5 ·
I know that there was a turbo kit made by a popular aftermarket company when the cars were new. These are rare though. If you have the abilities to do it yourself, then go for it! Otherwise the money would be better spent on getting a 300D turbo.

#6 ·
Unfortunately, my mechanical skills are "limited". Are you suggesting I can use the turbo unit from a 300D on the 240D? With regards to the aftermarket turbo...any idea on who the manufacturer is/was? Thanks to everyone for all the help. This is my first Mercedes/Diesel...and I'm planning (hoping) to enjoy it for many years to come.

#7 ·
Though the turbo unit could be taken from a 300D, The manifold won't fit. I was saying buy a car with the turbo already on it, as it would be cheaper and better. As good as these cars are, they are also very affordable.

I am not certain of who the manufacturer was, but I remember being surprised when I found out about it. It may have been callaway. The only reason I know of it is because a while back somebody was selling the kit out of their (wrecked?) 240D and gave a detailed description of it.

#8 ·
OK, a little more research tells me that it was Callaway. Apparently Motor Trend did a test on this car featured in issue #5 in 1983. Also, somebody putting a 240D into their 4x4 stated on their site (http://home.off-road.com/~northern_gypsy/240D.html):

"Interestingly, Callaway, the 'Corvette' people, used to make a kit to turbocharge the 240D , and they're supposedly good for approximately 100HP when setup.(and thats without an intercooler!) dont bother contacting Callaway though, as the kit went out of production it the mid 80's."

#10 ·
You would have to contact Motor Trend (magazine) for the back-issue. I think I found the listing by googling "callaway 240d turbo kit".

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.