Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 1999 SLK230 and my turn signals are suddenly not blinking. When I turn either the left or right one on they stay on constantly. Also, if I use the emergency lights they too stay on constantly.

Does this indicate a problem, or do I have an electrical issue...God I hope not!

Any advise you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!!

Jason

·
Registered
584 Posts
It sounds like an electrical issue, but a simple one. Every time that I have experienced the problem you are describing, it has been resolved with a new turn signal relay. I have no experience with SLK's to know where the relay would be, but I would not anticipate great cost or headaches.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Phew, that's a relief. My warranty just ran out! Will ask the dealership where I can find it, hopefully they will be helpful. Does any standard 12v relay work?

·
Registered
584 Posts
I don't think there is any standard 12v signal relay. Different cars will have different plugs or wiring arrangements to worry about. I was lucky with my Porsche when I drove it from Florida to California, the signal relay died as I got to my destination. I was able to cross reference with one from a VW (posche originally used the VW relay) at the local parts store. I doubt you will be as lucky, but it should be an easy part to get from most mercedes suppliers.

Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds good. I am in LA, CA and am positive that there are a ton of parts stores that would have a relay for a Merc.

Thanks again for the advise. Will try and track the relay down...

Jason

·
Registered
113 Posts
The relay is where the ca-clinking noise comes from when the signal is on. Just go to the dealer & look in one of their cars after you turn on the signal. Yours should be in the same place. Easy to un-plug & re-plug.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts