Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
If you want to add a 617.951 engine to that boat or have a third one as a spare, let me know and I will make every effort to get it to you at no cumulative cost to me or to you.

I don't know if this is true or not (you know how some folks like to tell fishing stories) but a guy in Minnesota told me that boats that smell fishy have special value. He said that this attracts fish to the boat and he even has a photo of him (alone) holding up a big Northern (Pike?).

I don't deny that he caught the fish, I am just suspect of the story that the smell of the boat increases its value. I have yet to see any stats on studies about what fish might think, but perhaps analogous studies have been done with rats, goats, or even other mammals.

·
Registered
34 Posts
So the question of the day for me now is, where do I find 617 engines that aren't in cars (or are in cars that are totaled) for cheap in the Tampa area?

I think I need to start getting an idea of what I'm going to expect to pay for an engine when Jeep time comes. :)

-brian

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have several, and can get more.. expect to pay between $500 and $1000
depending on mileage and condition, and I can probably assist in making your bellhousing and flywheel, engine mounts etc.

·
Registered
34 Posts
That's awesome man!! I'll definitely get in touch with you when the time is at hand. As much as I love the Cummins 4BT engines, they go for a *lot* of money. I'm liking this 617 the more I drive my 300SD, but I'm still a little weirded out by the high redline. ;)

Thanks man!!

-brian

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm liking this 617 the more I drive my 300SD, but I'm still a little weirded out by the high redline.
I don't think this qualifies as advice, but: it is possible for a naive person to burn up one of these engines on a No. CA. highway relatively close to the Pacific Ocean going about 65-70 mph. I know at least 3 guys and 2 girls that are willing and able to testify to this fact today, including me.

I trust that this is not too far off topic (boats, diesel engines, relevant stories...etc.) I am a "BenzForum Expert" due to my interest in learning how to fix my own car (and hopefully helping others down the road) and not because I have expertise in auto mecahnics or any related field.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
another update...

well the replacement STBD engine is in and running..
check out the website :

http://www.coastalboatsales.com/jfraley/gallery/scubaboo

and click out to the last few pages..
there is a video clip and some recent project updates.

in the next few weeks I will have it back in the water and will post more photos and videos of
her running

·
Registered
584 Posts
Is there an emoticon for "on edge with anticipation..."?
:? :wink:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I am shooting for a may 6/7th test run over to the Tampa Bay Jazz fest
which is held at a park right on the water. I will be sure to capture performance data and pics/video's

I may not be done with the cosmetic stuff yet.. but if I can get her together enough to run..

·
Registered
584 Posts
News?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
did not make it.. just too much to do and I did not want to rush it.
very close now.. I am re-installing the helm with all of the new controls and electrical/gauges complete later today. This way I will have engine monitoring capabilities and adjustable boost. I have run PVC conduit throughout the hull for all electrical wiring. Just a few remaining things to complete..

-Jason

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
sea-test #3

UPDATE:

last evening I loaded up the family in the vessel and went out to watch the fireworks from the water, and this was also the third test-run of this project boat.

unfortunatley I was not able to make a top speed run, or was not even able to get on plane.

The steering system is the rack and pinion type, and when I assembled the rack onto the helm, I put it on the wrong side of the shaft, so the steering was backwards at the wheel.

so in the intrest of saftey, I decided not to go much faster then about 10-12 knots.
but the engines and associated drivetrain perfomed flawlessly.

I also could not find the battery charger for the camera, so I only have photos, no video.. sorry, but I have to make some adjustments to the shifters and fix the steering system and I will have a full report including performance figures and video etc..

I have to say this.. its a very strrange thing to be riding around in your boat, and it sounds exactly like you are riding around in a floating W123 300D ( because it is ! ) it is really really cool.

stay tuned.. more updates very soon.

-J

·
Registered
584 Posts
Very cool. Will you consider entertaining benzforum guests who might find themselves visiting their mother in Safety Harbor soon? :roll:

-Neil (open water certified) :wink:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
you bet !!

when will you be in town ?

-Jason

·
Registered
584 Posts
No arrangements yet, but we just sold the family business in New Port Richey. I'll have to go down there, possibly in the next month, to help settle some things.

-Neil

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
UPDATE

have both engines re-installed with new vibration dampners, just finished painting the exterior in my newly built garage.
Next sea-test is planned for memorial day weekend
I will update the forum with information and new photos
photos will be posted here:

http://www.coastalboatsales.com/jfraley/gallery/scubaboo

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow! I was wondering if this could be done, but on a smaller scale. I have a 1972 Correct Craft ski boat (18') and I have been considering putting a 300d engine in another boat. I haven't put too much thought into it because I do not have the funds to purchase another boat or another 300d engine, but some of the problems I thought I might encounter were finding the right transmission, getting the engine rpm and what not at the right levels to power a ski boat, and engine cooling issues. What were your biggest problems converting an engine to be put into a car? I have seen that they have marine kits for diesel engines, but I do not see any need when there would not be any gas fumes in the engine compartment. I hope to be able to convert a ski boat to diesel sometime in the not-too-distant future, and anything that you could tell me would be wonderful.
Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am very impressed on your boat conversion. Where did you get the marine parts for 617? Told in other places could not be done.
Wonder if a OM 616.912 can be boat ready. I am building a 22 footer and want a diesel. Nice to have a OM on board. TIA
Bill
1981 300 TD

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
most of the marine parts I fabricated myself

boat is running fine.. and is very good on fuel..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey man nice project. I am a straight inboard fan. I have a 22 Shamrock and am active on the Shamrock boat owners forum. ww.fishtheclassic.net I have been wondering about marinizing a MB diesel for a boat. I think it could be good combination for a small Shamrock. I just bought my first MB 300D and look forward to getting it on the road with the help of y'all.
Craig Fox

21 - 40 of 41 Posts