Land Rover Freelander
Lincoln Navigator
Mercedes-Benz M-Class
Oldsmobile Bravada
Saturn VUE
Toyota 4Runner (V6)
Volvo XC90
It's from Consumer Report.

I saw many times that the quality of the Mercedes C-Class is poor. There even is a horror story in the E-Class topic about it.

Seriously, how worst it is??? I'm thinking seriously about cancelling my command. I passed the age to go to the dealer everyday... I'm buying a Mercedes, not a stupid GM!!!

My heart says GO-GO!, but my reason says No-No!

And second question. My dealer got a C230Kompressor (silver and automatic, I'm not interested). HOLY $HIT!!! What are these ugly wheels??? It looks gay!!! And honestly, what the point to have 8,5" at the rear? It's not even 200hp that it have, not 500!

Sorry for my babbling, but it leaves me perplexed... (the first part, not really the second, apart the fact that my dealer want 1500$ to put the nice 7 spoke wheels while he keep those 5 spokes...)

·
Registered
3 Posts
You know, I wondered about the extra-wide rear wheels on a car with 189 hp too. Maybe they're designed to scare away those wimpy 240-hp Honda Accords?

wrt consumer reports, i dunno. Our 2003 230k has been in once for the adjustment buttons on the passenger seat not working, and once because I somehow ran over a screw and needed the back left tire patched. There's lotsa anecdotal stuff like this, but I don't know how the Consumer Reports thing was done. How does it measure reliability, and what does it consider a breakage?

Could you test drive all the high-reliability cars to see which you like best, and whether it feels better than your prospective Benz?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think the 01 and 02 C class have lots of electronical problems so may be that's why the C class received such a low reliability rating. If you looked at other discussion forums, you'll notice people talking trash about their '01 and '02 C-class. I don't see lots of complains on '03 and after. I think it's a good rule of thumb to avoid the first two years of a new design.

As far as the extra wide rear wheels, I think MB just wants to make the sport sedan more "sporty". The fact that a sport sedan has a 4 cylinder 189hp engine puzzled me already but if you are like me (just want the car to look fast and don't really care about the real performance since you can't drive fast "legally" anyway), you are okay.

I can't believe the IS300 is a mid size car!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Consumer reports is ok for what it does, I guess. Most of the articles I ever tried to read in this publication put me to sleep, as do the vehicles they favor. If you are a consumer reports kind of guy, an Accord is hard to beat. Just my two pfennigs...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried the new TL and Maxima. Don't like the feeling. Too much power for a FWD. The IS300? Too sporty, I feel as if I'm pulling a tiger by the tail! Camry or ES300? Big boat... I'm rather cold about japanese car, mostly because of their cold interior and their seats aren't the best, far from it. American cars? Forget that.

I want a GT. I often have to drive over 500 miles so I want a confortable car with great seats with a "cozy" interior. It's not on the highway, it's on an isolated road, single lane, a lot of "heavy" traffic (big trucks), lot of sharp curves, lots of animals (mooses and bears) crappy weather, so I want a car with good handling, enough torque to be able to pass and specially a car that can handle emergency situation very well. The cars that have a great compromise are rare. The C230K was one of them.

But on another side, it's an isolated road without a single house for 200 miles. And in the region I need to go, there's no Mercedes dealer. So it's not the place to get stuck on the sideroad because of an unreliable car.

I don't use my 325i on this road because of its average reliability. I got stuck twice in a snow storm in the middle of nowhere. My old Volvo is better about this. (I can't say that it never break, but I was always able to reach my destination.)

:edit: It's not just Consummer Report, I saw articles like this one from others sources too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Lynn said:
Did you know that on the JD Power reliability survey, the number one "reliability" complaint for all Mercedes models was brake dust on the wheels? The second most reported "reliability" complaint was the lack of sufficient cupholders. 8O
Man, that brake dust is killing me. It's seems like I'm cleaning my wheels every week!!!

Regarding the reliability - honestly, we considered an '04 5spd accord. It rode nice and everything, but I was just not sold on the idea of the body changing in 2 years (I don't know if it's that short, it just seems like there's a new Camry/Accord/Maxima out that often). Also, call me a snob, but I was driving a Legend previous to my C230. I felt like I'd really be going a step down from a Legend to an Accord. At lease the C230 was a Mercedes!!! :) Also, if the C really is less reliable than other cars, it's made up for in the 4yr/50k mile warranty AND maintenance. I think that's why they came up with that, because though they were "status" symbols, they could not rival the reliability of Japanese cars.

Oh yeah, and about the bigger wheels in the back - that's cool and all, but in the end, what does it buy you? Does the car handle any better? It must be a tad bit slower because it's working that 189hp engine just alittle bit harder to turn those wheels! Not to mention it's probably another $15-$20/tire for the rear!!!

Either way, if I'm gonna buy another Japanese car, it's going to be a used R34 Skyline GTR!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Lynn said:
Did you know that on the JD Power reliability survey, the number one "reliability" complaint for all Mercedes models was brake dust on the wheels? The second most reported "reliability" complaint was the lack of sufficient cupholders. 8O
It's good to know I'm not alone out there. I completed the JD Power quiz and those were my major concerns... along with my panorama's roof rear sunshade getting stuck sometimes when I try to open it.... but what the heck, it can never be perfect, right?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can say that I also have some complains about my actual C-class. It is a C240 Elegance 2002. The car is really nice but I´ve had problems with the taillights, that on the computer mark that one or two aren´t working whil they do are working. Another thing is that it accelerates really slow, more slow that a usual C240. I checked that at the MB dealer but they could not do anything about it.

Right now I´m planning to change it for a 2004 C230K. I already test drove it and I like it way better. I´m planning to order it with the AMG body kit, but keeping the C230K wheels.

Does anyone know why Mercedes-Benz C-class can make tires chirp when you accelerate in Neutral and then you change it to Drive??? I didn´t try it when I tested the C230K but my actual C240 can´t do it. It just desaccelerates and then starts moving slowly. Even with the ESP off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts