Benz Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I won't rehash how I only have 17,000 miles and need to replace those crappy Continentals... but I'm noticing that my tires are severly worn from the outer edge to center and hardly at all on the inside. All four are the same. I know German suspension sets the wheels off of plumb, but they should straighten out at speed, and almost all my driving is highway.

I'm about ready to order some Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires (from TireRack of course) and I want to know that the same thing isn't going to happen to them - afterall, it's a substantial investment.

If someone can educate me on why these tires are wearing this way I would sure appreciate it. Perhaps something needs adjustment??

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have received my 4 shiny new Michelin Pilots, and am having the dealer put them on for me next week. Also told them I want the alignment checked... hopefully these new shoes will get a better start that the original set.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm interested in some feedback on this one, too. My wife has a 2001 430CLK with the sam,e problem. We put some Bridgestone tires on 15,000 miles ago. The outside edges on the front are gone. I thought the camber must have been set wrong on the front end when the alignment was done at the time the tires wre installed. We have called the dealer to have the front end looked at.

The initial response is "It's supposed to do that." The story is that because of the way the car is built and handles turns, it chews up the front tires. The dealer says they'll look at it, but most people put different wheels on so that the tires can be rotated for longer wear.

The first set of tires lasted about 30,000 miles, which we expected due to soft rubber of performance tires. But, I'm struggling with the idea that the car is supposed to do this.

I'm scheduled to take the car in on Tuesday. I would really appreciate any suggestions anyone may have. I'm not expecting a particularly happy experience. My wife has already told the dealer she wants to give the car back if it is designed to chew up tires every 15,000 miles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts