Benz Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought my first MB..a 1997 C280 sedan (non-Sport). The car is immaculate and had only 46,000 mi on it. It drives fine but I noticed an oddity on the set of tires at purchase: 2 Pirelli P6000 (205-60-R15, 90H) in rear and Tyfoon Successors (205-60-R15, 90H) on front. Plenty of trend on both but Tyfoons appeared very new. The spare was a mismatch also: a brand new Continental and it was a 195-60-R15. After 5000 miles the Pirellis wore to the metal on inside (where only the change in ride gave it away). The Tyfoons were unworn. Because I didnt know if there was more than an alignment issue with the car I had a set of economy tires put on to replace the Pirellis. Now that the tire shop indicated nothing more than a needed alignment, I want to swap this unmatched set onto my sons Altima and put on a full set of Michelins on the C280. When I went to shop them online, I input the make/model/yr and the selections all came back as 195-R60-15s (3 sytles: 2H and 1 V speed rated). Now i am confused as to whether I should be running 205s or 195s. Could the 205s be a mismatch for this car, resulting in the uneven tire wear? I drive 90% highway, 600 miles a week at 65-75 mph. I want a soft ride, good wet weather handling (I'm in So FL) and long wear. What do I make of the rear tire wear observed? What recommendations can anyone make on the best tire match for the car and my driving style?

Thanks for any guidance.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts