Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure I can't be the only one that is having problems with unwanted attention while driving, parking or just some people knowing I have a Mercedes. It bugs me sometimes when I see oncoming traffic crossing the center lane, coming right at me and the driver is looking at my car. Or when parking, I try to park as far from the store as possible so no one can open their doors onto mine. Some how whenever I come out of the store there are cars parked on both side of my car. Then there are those I know (mostly people at work) seem to have a problem with me having a Mercedes. If I seem angry about it, I'm not really. I just don't understand it. 8O Has anyone else had any of these problems?

·
Registered
34 Posts
ditto

Ditto, the change is significant.

I drive into gas stations now and the attendent says "sir", whereas before it was "..."

The way I drive, most people behind me get frustrated because, while I like to drive fast, I'm also kind of neurotic in terms of checking and rechecking traffic conditions. This extra second or two before making a turn or going through a stop sign drives people behind me crazy, and they'd end up honking.

Now that I'm in this car, the honking incidence has gone down by a factor of 10.

Also, even though you're driving a C230K that costs less than a loaded Ford Taurus, many people see it as an impractical, lavish purchase and treat you accordingly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I seem to be having the same problem also..I am 22 and just got a 03 C230 right off the showroom floor. Well most people seem to have a problem with that. I have always had nice cars new camaro convt's sports cars like that, people never usually cared when I had those but now that I have a Mercedes its like "woah spoiled brat" well whatever lol who cares if I am or not, its not the point I got the car I liked and my parents wanted me to have a safe car thats why I have it not because I am spoiled. Also, being I only work 3 days a week I get a lot of guff because of that. One of my co-workers which is 27 and drives a 92 p.o.s actually told me that I dont deseve it someone who actually works deserves it someone like him and that the only reason I have it is because my mommy bought it for me. Then you get the people like him that are just plain jealous so that you just have to ignore. So, I have notived some of the unwanted attention but I have to say most of the attention has been good and just people saying how much they love the car and how cool it looks etc. Still no matter what anyone elses opinon is on it I still love it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
We just got our c230k a week ago. The reaction from our friends can be a little strange. We also own a 2002 Dodge Ram which cost more and nobody pays attention. I think most people are uninformed and think the Benz costs more.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I get that sometimes, although it's not as bad as some of you guys described. One guy at my gym actually thought this car cost $45,000 so I can see where people get this reaction.

·
Registered
40 Posts
yeah i get unwanted attention too. I'm 24 and just arrived back home (i live in a very small place where everyone knows everyone) after being away for 7 years..and as soon as i got back i bought my merc. Some people who know me give me dirty looks..totally jealous as if they dont understand how i can have this car having got back so recently..others complain when i get out of the car and i might have my cut jeans shorts (cause i have just been to the beach or something!!) hehe they say it should not be allowed to have a merc driver wearing cut jeans!...but to be honest no matter what car or money i have..i'll always dress and be the same...its just some people are too jealous...so much so that someone scratched my car..but hey thats life i guess....atleast we have a merc ;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think that some of the problem is where I live. This is a middle class town. You just don't see as many Mercedes as you do near the beach.
Another thing that bothers me is when you are at a light or stop sign, people get so close to your bumper you almost can't see their head. California isn't the place to get on top of someones bumper anyway. There are so many hills here. Your car will roll back even if it's an automatic.
I have never had this problem. When I see someone in a very nice car, my first thoughts are....."nice car!" And that is my last thought.

·
Registered
94 Posts
It is true

On the street actually I don't get more attention. I already had a sport car before that caused me a lot of troubles. People cut my way, didn't stop, were suddenly stopping in front of me. Now I have none of these with the mercedes.

However I have noticed an interesting thing.
When I had the sport car mostly those below 30 who caused me troubles.
Now having the mercedes mostly those above 40 who are causing me troubles.

At work I had a little trouble to explain my boss how I got the Mercedes .... Your troubles are normal. People are just jealous.

Buying a Hyundai for $25000 or a Ford Focus SVT isn't just STUPID ?!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I live in orange county, where rarely anyone seems to pay attention to my car, they are too busy paying attention to their own car:whether it is a new or old mercedes/bmws/volvos/lexus/jaguars/ etc. Of course, there are the other brands of cars, but one time I was near Newport bay and there were 6 cars and we were all mercedes and I was thinking, "wow, i wonder if they are all assessing how each car cost."....me, probably the cheapest of everyone there, considering the young man next to me in his SL 500 was looking at my car and smirked. I just smiled and drove away happy that I had a mercedes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I live in the Orange County area too, and Mercedes seem to be a dime a dozen around here. When I first got my car I was surprised to see so many other people driving them too, but now they just seem to blend in with the rest of the traffic. The occasional S, CL, or SL will come by and grab my attention, but the C class is so numerous that it doesn't always register.

As for unwanted attention, I got some of that in the form of vandalism about two weeks ago. Someone decided to pound 5 or 6 good dents into the top of my hood, bad enough that the whole hood needs replacing. There weren't any reports of other cars getting the same treatment, so all I can think of is that mine stood out. :(

·
Registered
49 Posts
yeah I know what you mean, about mercedes starting to blend in with the rest of the traffic, that's how i feel. Yeah, someone threw eggs at my car hard enough that i have chips in my paint on the back of my car. I was so sad when I saw the eggs and felt more sad when I saw the damage. I didn't even know eggs could do that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
its a shame people react this way when they see other people doing well...its like with me..3 days after getting my car someone decides to make a massive scratch on the skirting...why? whats the point...such is life huh

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had some negative reactions from co-workers and

neighbors. One guy even remarked that I was just trying to impress people. I wish there was a way to tell them that dollar for dollar my car is a better value than that shiny (for the first few months anyway) new Kia Rio they paid just a little less for than my C280 I bought pre-owned when it was 2 years old. These same folks that point their fingers are driving around in $30,000 pick-up trucks and SUVs or will go through 2 or 3 crappy, low quality--high dollar $15,000 cars before my Benz ever gives out.
Besides, I was 36 years old this year when I bought my first MB--and I worked damned hard to finally get my dream car. I think that they can all just kiss my......well, you know. I say buy it for yourself, drive it for yourself, and enjoy every minute of it no mattter what other folks think!

A

·
0 Posts
Living is So. Cal is living in Largest MBZ buying market on the planet. I have an older AMG conversion and i love the fact that no one has a car that looks like mine. I get comments all the time like is that a new model or what year is it. I enjoy that someone is willing to come out of thier hardened bunker shell we all seem to have in So. Cal and say hey nice ride. In fact a kid in Anahiem Hills today said "nice leather." Of course I said thank you and smiled. 40 min. later MBZ roadside showed up and delivered me a new battery. :D

For those MBZ haters:
I could care less what people think. I know deep down when I am in an accident with that overpriced SUV I will come out on top. Yup that SUV owner may flip flop or roll. However, I will be nicely tucked inside my Krautwagon.

I have been in a few accidents that were not my fault. Each one of those were not in a MBZ. Each one caused serious injury to my body. However everyone that owns one of these vehicles that were engineered like no other should feel good inside that they are wrapped in a safety cocoon. It also doesnt hurt that they have great lines.

I have been in love with MBZ's since I was a kid and I believe that is what is giving me the inspiration to start an E-business revolved around the product I love and so many others love.

Face it people MBZ has come a long way to offer a huge price range and assortment of thier line. These little ladies have far more features then any other product out there and at least 10x the engineering. I think its great that people ages 20-70 can afford to enjoy the experience when a short time ago only DR's and high earning people could only enjoy this machine.

The next time someone gives you the evil eye from their MBZ while you are driving your own; know that if you had the chance to speak with them you and them would have one huge thing in common. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re: It is true

Hey dude,

You're right about one thing, I would never spend the money for a Tiburon or a Focus!

andkovacs said:
On the street actually I don't get more attention. I already had a sport car before that caused me a lot of troubles. People cut my way, didn't stop, were suddenly stopping in front of me. Now I have none of these with the mercedes.

However I have noticed an interesting thing.
When I had the sport car mostly those below 30 who caused me troubles.
Now having the mercedes mostly those above 40 who are causing me troubles.

At work I had a little trouble to explain my boss how I got the Mercedes .... Your troubles are normal. People are just jealous.

Buying a Hyundai for $25000 or a Ford Focus SVT isn't just STUPID ?!

·
Registered
7 Posts
it's basically the same on attention im not spoiled or anything but im only 19 and have only worked 3 months in my life and i own a 02 esclade a 03 C32 AMG and a 2000 BMW323Ci -selling... who am i kidding im not going to lie anymore im spoiled... Some people that dont know me say im stuck up and stuff but my good friends just tell me they're jealous so i just blow it off now, but i would say the escalade gets more looks where as my bmw i miss we had a community we would all wave at each other i miss those days but the Benz i rarely drive cause of weather im sure it will turn heads too

-dipp

·
Registered
31 Posts
amg eric said:
Living is So. Cal is living in Largest MBZ buying market on the planet. :D
This is totally true. I used to think that we got stares a few years ago when we bought our first Mercedes (ML320) - especially my wife who is a couple of years younger than I am (we both still get carded when we go out).

But even before we purchased our C230 6spd sedan last month, I realized that there are so many BMW's, Lexus, Porsche, etc. around that noone really bothers. What really catches my eye are the $2M homes that are just a couple of hundred yards away from mine...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was listening to a radio program about people driving too close and parking close to expencive cars. They were saying that people do this because they know we that drive BMWs and MBs have insurance and they also know we aren't going to open our doors and ding their cars. It seems no matter how far I park away from the store, these people park along side me and as close as they can get.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yep I know what you all mean, I bought my 1997 C280 for just about 15000 canadian dollars and everyone thinks its a 60,000 dollar car, I just got all the dents removed using a paintless dent system, went to the store and parked in the last spot when i got out of the store a hummer H2 on one side and a dodge 1500 ram, the new big one. Luckly they did not dint my car. I get all kinds of looks honks and eye rolls, i my friends think i sell drugs or something to afford that car, which is not the case
I get to much un wanted attention, and ever one thinks daddy bought me the car.
The reason i bought it was i wanted a rear drive car since i enjoy driving and i did not want a front wheel drive there some differnet about driving a car that does not have the power coming from the wheels that steer. show me some cars made in north america that can go 155 MPH comfortble and safely. I could have got a new ford focus or small poor quality car, but the benz is a no brainer for the same price

1 - 20 of 32 Posts