Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing the head on my 240d. I have put the timing chain back on the cam sprocket exactly how it came off, but the timing marks on the cam do not line up with the marks on the chain and gear from when I removed them. How do I make sure that the engine is timed correctly? What index marks am I looking for on the crank, etc. I have the MB shop manual, but it is not very specific about how to determine TDC on the crank. Thanks, for your help!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have the timing figured out. Now the only question is about the rail guide. I have the one piece plastic rail and it has a lot of play when installed. If I tighten the bolt all the way, it binds against the cam gear. Is there a spacer between the rail and head that I somehow missed during teardown? I can't find it in any of the parts lists in the MB shop guide, but something just doesn't seem right!! Any further input would be great!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I need a dope slap!!

Thanks. I finally figured out that I had put the cam gear on backwards. Once that was on correctly (doh!!) everything went on quite nicely.
But if you care to opine, when I got finished the car still behaves exactly as it did before the head work. That is, it smokes terribly at idle, drives great, quits smoking, then begins again after you come to a stop and idle for a bit. No oil in the vaccuum lines, a little in the breather separator tube at the intake manifold. Compression tests had 340, 340, 330, 350 dry and 390, 400, 400 390 wet. I am stumped!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts