Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like a dumb question, and it is. MB has always been the leader in Diesel engines. I happily drive my 83 300D, i love that car and i would drive it 4ever. Anyways, i was looking at newer diesel like 93,95,99. Some are far from my price range, for a college student everything thing is heheh. So pretty much the next best thing in diesels is the VW, so i think, and because here in SoCal they are easier to get than the EXTREMELY RARE MB 90's diesels :cry: . can anyone tell me how are they? does it have a quick kick or you have to overfuel? thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
my son has a 2000 jetta tdi. 45mpg running around, 55 highway. Burns cleaner than our 98 E300TD, has a different "smell" to the exhaust and impossible to make it smoke, even under hard acceleration. Power is adequate but its not a stormer. Long legs for highway but slow from a start. Downside as I see is minor electrical problem and the timing belt that cost about $1000 to replace. Gas models also have to do this so its a wash I guess. Overall very nice- newer tdi's are supposed to be nicer- VW has done some engine changes.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I have been a fan of the TDi's since I drove a mid-90's passat (still ugly at the time) TDi. Very impressive engine. Since then, the pasat is not available in the US in TDi and I have heard many complaints from Jetta owners about quility. Also, safety is a huge factor for me since my father was killed in a car wreck, and that make Mercedes the hands-down winner. Also, very often VW parts are often much more expensive than MB's. Just compare brakes pricing for a good example. Not that I don't still consider a TDi for myself every now and then...

I imagine that with the fuel prices we are faing in SoCal, any diesel is going to be hard to find.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I can't say anything about the engine, but I can tell you that the overall quality on Jetta's is just horendous. I had a 2001 gas engine jetta that was a great little car built out of really crappy parts. they would replace bad pates with the same bad design that would fail in exactly the same way as what they replaced. LAte 90's jettas were supposed to be worse quality than mine. I would stay away from them. The second time my driver's side window fell down into the door , there were 3 of us jetta owners in the waiting area, a 1999, a 2000 and a 2001. All 3 of us had had our windows fall down into the door at least once. 8O

Too bad, if it had held together it would have been a decent car. I ended up springing a little more money and getting the c230. So far it has been great.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The passat is supposed to be back as a diesel late this year. My sons 2000 windows did fail and were fixed under warranty- VW has extended the window coverage for I think 7 years from purchase. I had a volvo with the same problem with windows- substituting a proven product with something new that saves a few cents per unit. My audi TT is on its 3rd instrument cluster- again bad parts replaced by new bad parts. I guess manufacturers have to weigh the cost of replacing components on a case by case basis until the warranty expires versus a recall like campaign to fix a problem once and for all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow, i didnt know that about the VW's. Yeah the gas prices here are HORRIBLE, most of my friend wiht big gas eater trucks, now either bike or carpool wiht me. hehe :D . But yeah me and my dad has always said it, mercedes benz are just well built.

ps: cracker928, hehe nice on the porsche, i been trying to get a 914, or a 944 looks nicer but 4 cyl, dunno about the power.......but thats for fun, im still a diesel maniac

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Jetta TDIs from (I think) 1999 onwards were (are) built in Mexico. Initial batch had no end of electrical and other stupid problems. My brother's 2000 TDI Jetta had a really silly issue - with the turn indicator on and merging left while accelerating (took some time to arrive at the combination of things to duplicate the problem :eek: )- other idiot lights on the insturment cluster would light up inexplicably. After replacing the cluster and mucking with wiring harnesses, and still not being able to fix it, and after much complaining, they gave him a new car! This was after he had been putting up with this sillyness for 3 months!

That is just one horror story which may be an extreme exception however, as there are numerous Jetta TDIs out there with well north of 300,000 mi on them and still going strong! Problem with the Jetta is interior space, timing belt maintenance (pain in the backside maintenance you HAVE to do at 100,000 km or else you run the risk of an even more expensive head re-build). I also do not get the same sense of security you take for granted in a heavy Benz while sitting in a Jetta.

The new 2.0L TDI engine VW is putting in the 2004 Passat is an awesome little engine. One of the vehicles I presently drive is an A6 with a 4.2 V8 - I test drove the new Passat with the new TDI engine, and I have to say, its just as quiet on the Hwy as the A6 with the smooth V8, or even the new E320 CDI as well! It also has a pretty good get up and go (not so much from a standing start nor is it anything like the new E320 CDI in that dept, but at Hwy cruise, when you need the punch, the torque is definitely there). This engine uses VWs new high pressure "Pumpe Duse" unit injectors connected to a drive-by-wire ECU and thottle system they co-developed with Bosch (apparently). Results is a 4 cyclinder diesel, that is exceptionally smooth (for a diesel). Car also gets over 40Mpg Hwy.

VW quality has improved dramatically in the past 3 years, and this is confirmed by many of the independent reviews.

As far as safety - the Passat has one of the highest crash safety ratings, and comes with bags all around (actually I think the side impact ones are an option). Safety in a Jetta - that may be a different story.

Warranty on the Passat is 4 Years (50K mi) bumper to bumper with Road Assistance, and 5 Yrs on the powertrain, and 12Yr unlimited mileage Corrosion perf.

It's no Benze, and still does not have the acceleration of a 1999 E300 D (nor should it since the 300D is a bigger engine), but they are a less dollars than a new E320, and are definitely a clean running, fuel efficient engine.

All that said - this is a new engine for North America - hopefully it does not have the same teething issues the Jetta TDIs had in 1999.

sw

1 - 7 of 7 Posts