Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 ML 320 CDI
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
The lower oil pan on my 08 320 cdi is leaking oil. It’s not a bad leak but it’s dripping from the right rear area and mostly landing on the passenger side front axle that then flings it about. I’ve seen the MB instructions for removal which state to lift the engine.
Does anyone happen to have detailed DIY instructions for the job?
Has anyone succeeded in dropping the lower pan without lifting the engine by chance?
Many thanks

·
Administrator
1993 SL500, 1998 SL500 Pano Top, 2005 ML270Cdi.
975 Posts
Hi all,
The lower oil pan on my 08 320 cdi is leaking oil. It’s not a bad leak but it’s dripping from the right rear area and mostly landing on the passenger side front axle that then flings it about. I’ve seen the MB instructions for removal which state to lift the engine.
Does anyone happen to have detailed DIY instructions for the job?
Has anyone succeeded in dropping the lower pan without lifting the engine by chance?
Many thanks
Are you certain that the leak is coming from the oil pan?

There is an O ring oil seal in between long aluminum metal pipe from the turbo to the black plastic silencer that goes over the serpentine belt. If that O ring fails, oil leaks down onto the oil pan.

·
Registered
2008 ML 320 CDI
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you certain that the leak is coming from the oil pan?

There is an O ring oil seal in between long aluminum metal pipe from the turbo to the black plastic silencer that goes over the serpentine belt. If that O ring fails, oil leaks down onto the oil pan.
Ah, ok, thank you. I will check that.

·
Registered
2008 ML 320 CDI
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah, ok, thank you. I will check that.
Absolutely no oil anywhere on the pipe or connections. I have oil drops on several of the rearward lower oil pan bolts as well as the rear flange of the pan. Also oil on the right axle where it seems to drip. The spinning axle then distributes it about.

·
Administrator
975 Posts
Unfortunately not the easy fix.
To remove the oil pan is not an easy task as you mentioned in your first post.
Here are the removal instructions (you may want to have a glass of something strong when reading)

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 ML 320 CDI
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately not the easy fix.
To remove the oil pan is not an easy task as you mentioned in your first post.
Here are the removal instructions (you may want to have a glass of something strong when reading)
Yea, that doesn’t look real fun. Do you know if an engine support beam will lift the engine sufficient to get the pan off? Or do I have to have an engine hoist?
Thanks

·
Administrator
975 Posts
Yea, that doesn’t look real fun. Do you know if an engine support beam will lift the engine sufficient to get the pan off? Or do I have to have an engine hoist?
Thanks
I would think that an engine hoist is the only way to go if you have to remove the pan.

Just a thought, are you able to access the fixing bolts from under the car? If you can, you could try nipping the M6 and M8 bolts a little tighter from 14nm. and 20nm. to a little more and cross your fingers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts