Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many of the members here, I am a victim of the dreaded Valeo radiator problem. Despite two visits to my dealership while still under warranty for transmission issues, the dealership never performed a Glycol test even though I have the defective Valeo radiator (a fact I was unaware of at that time) and kept saying they could not find a problem. Now, about 3000 miles out of warranty, my car started driving so bad I brought it is again. This time, they tell me they have found the problem--coolant in the tranny fluid--and I will need a new radiator, torque converter, tranny, transmission control module and fluid flush. Obviously, I was pissed that they conveniently found this problem after I was out of warranty, and made no mention of it prior. Despite repeated contacts to my service manager and MB-USA, they are refusing to cover the expenses related to this known defect. This brings me to the reason for my post.

I am looking for anyone else out there who has had this problem. I am an attorney and I am contemplating a class-action lawsuit on behalf of other owners who have had to pay significant out of pocket expenses to fix this problem. I would appreciate anyone who has had this issue provide me with their name, year of their vehicle, when the problem was diagnosed, and amount of out of pocket expenses via private message (all information will remain confidential). I am particularly interested in any owners who reside in New Jersey.

The following models are affected:

Model 203.040/061/064/065/081/084/261/264/281/284/740/747/764
Model 209.365/375/376/465/475
Model 211.065/070/076/083/265/283

Up to Production Date 09/2003

Feel free to PM me with any further questions.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I'm curious on what the original complaint was while it was under warranty. There's a service bulletin on this problem. The bulletin states for complaints of a humming/droning noise when under acceleration. If your complaint was somewhere along those lines, they should have easily found the bulletin and realized that it's related.

Also, being that you complained about the problem twice under warranty, and also that your only 3000 miles out of warranty, really they should cover it. And also they can, but you have to convince the service manager either through being nice, or being really really pissed off.

It is a pretty common problem. Unfortunately, most drivers don't even notice that there's a problem though. I try to catch it when I'm working on a car. I actually found two of them that I worked on that happened to have the problem earlier this month, and I'll be repairing them next week.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have seen the TSB, but i do not remember what I complained of when it was under warranty. I have spoken to the service manager, and I started off being very nice and cordial asking if he could help with this problem. I have gotten him to agree to cover 50% of the costs, but I honestly believe that this is a problem that MB should be responsible for. (an issue I took up with MB-USA, who was nothing but rude to me) If I would have been warned about this potential problem I would have thrown a Behr radiator in for a couple hundred bucks. Now, even with them covering 50% I am still looking at thousands out of my pocket for a defect MB has known about but has made no effort to warn consumers about.

Like you said this is a pretty common problem. The thing is, I think most MB owners who have this happen do not know enough about cars to ask the right questions and just go ahead and pay to have these repairs made. In my opinion, MB is screwing their customers resulting in potential 7-9k in repairs, because they want to save themselves from having to spend 200 bucks per affected vehicle. A decision which might bite them in the ass.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts