Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Support for Mercedes Benz C230 Coupes in the 2003 SCCA Speed World Challenge Touring Car Championship.

As part of the Mercedes-Benz Club of America (MBCA), the south Florida (Palm Beach section) had our annual club visit today at Autohaus Pompano, one of the country’s most successful MB dealerships. http://autohauspompano.com/New.asp

I had the pleasure of meeting and having great in-depth discussions with some of the motorsports supportive personnel (specifically, Mike Weitze, Parts GM) who detailed their private, but dedicated dealership effort. The details seem promising and this effort is well worth the fanfare. My impressions of the dealership were positive overall, with one small glitch with the car-washing staffing, which was remedied while I was there. We shared our MBCA catering with the dealership and we were well-received and well attended to per our facility tour.

Autohaus Pompano, of Pompano Beach, Florida, sets directly behind Champion Porsche-Audi (http://www.champion-motors.com/index.html), who has a long history in their own right of motorsports participation and success in professional sportscar racing. Autohaus, although not as frequent or financially active with their motorsports efforts as Champion, has apparently experimented before (I saw an older C-Class with racing attire in the garage), and is again making a run for Mercedes showcasing with the C230 Coupe.

Excerpt from Team Autohaus – Pompano Beach Motorsport:

“These pair of racecars were hand-built by Team Autohaus – Pompano Motorsport engineers. They are purpose-built from bare shells to run in the SCCA (Sportscar Club of America) Pro Racing World Challenge Touring Car Class. They ran their first race on June 29th, 2003 at Road Atlanta in Braselton, Georgia.

The team has scored the first manufacturing points for Mercedes-Benz in North American road racing. The cars are driven by veteran driver, Peter Lockhart from Canada, and rookie driver, Scott Poirier from the United States.”

From Speedvision website:

“I am very pleased at the quality of build and detail of preparation that our in-house engineers and staff have achieved in creating these race cars from the ground up. Our goal has been to produce a competitive package worthy of the Mercedes Benz Motorsport heritage to challenge the factory supported brands in the series,” said Robert Kirland, President and CEO of Autohaus Pompano.

http://www.speedvisionwc.com/news/03press61.html

Although never personally meeting Mr. Robert Kirland, I saw three of his personally-owned vehicles today in the dealership garage. One was a new Viper RT/10; and though having a Dodge nameplate, it is of course a creation of the Daimler-Chrysler enterprise, even if indirectly. (Now if only MB refinement could get some time in disciplining this brute into SL-like road manners, this would be truly something.)

The others? He has a white 1963 split-window Stingray Corvette and a white, early SL-190 which was once a museum car that simply buckles one’s knees to gape at! And, although the people at a nearby exotic shop (Fort Lauderdale Collection) want credit for delivering this to Kirland, truly, one can see the passion and conviction this man has to automotive spirit and heritage in all respects. I’m also told there’s a gull-wing SL that occasionally shows itself here, too. He’s no mere typical dollars-and-cents dealership CEO; he’s an enthusiast through and through and his in-house engineering commitment and worthy effort are primed to showcase this.

Still, this is a private effort, though, and they will have their work cut-out for them competing against some key factory efforts in the (Touring Car) series. My guess is they’ll come through. Let’s come out and support their noble efforts with the C230 Coupe within the remaining schedule. (I’m told, should things go their way, they may even try this series with another model eventually; perhaps an SL for GT?) While their debut was only in June at Road Atlanta, they managed to score points. (Television debut is July 19th, at 3:00PM EST., on Speed Channel, the series sponsor.)

http://www.speedvisionwc.com/2003/schedules.html

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Series - C-Coupe Specs

For this series, The SCCA Pro Racing World Challenge Touring Car Class, this C-Coupe enters with the following specs:

Engine Size: 2295cc

Compression Ratio: 12.1

Maximum RPM: 8500

Brake Horsepower: 270

Top Speed: 150+ MPH (Limited by gearing.)

Weight: 2700

Fuel Capacity: 16 Gallons

Wheels: 17/8 Custom Designed - Toyo Spec Series Tires

Brakes: 12.7/1.25 Front Discs - Brembo - 4 Piston Calipers
11.75/.875 Rear Discs - Mercedes-Benz - C220 Calipers

(Roll cage and safety equipment.)

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One last thing...

Now, before anyone says, hey, my C32 has more power, etc...

Well, yes, and if V8's, turbos or superchargers were allowed in unlimited specs, they would have another series altogether, and all the cars would have loads of power.

However, realize that this is a spec series which is looking to test raw mechanics of base engines and the technical ability of said engineering efforts. Besides, bigger engines, turbos, superchargers, etc. would have to be handicapped by weight to be accepted and, sometimes, often, the end does not justify the means.

Of course, some, perhaps most of you, already know all this. But just in case... This is the only US Mercedes effort and the only C-Class Coupe racing at this level of pro racing.

Let's give it its due.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mercedes racing

This dealership in florida is really doing something that Mercedes should do. This car is not promoted enough, the c230 coupe. This will help with showing what a great little Mercedes this car really is. Mercedes should be doing more tv ads and more print ads to promote this Fun, Fast, machine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts