Benz Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, I have a 2000 Mercedes-Benz s500. I have a starting problem with my car. It is not happening every time. Sometimes when I turn on the ignition, the car doesn't start to firing. The engine is making a noise like trying to start. I know the starter is working, I guess pistons are working too, but I think the car cannot get enough gasoline to start the engine. The funny thing is when I use a jumper cable, and the engine is starting. I went to Autozone to check out my battery, they said it is perfect. Also, I check the car on the computer, and it said I have a misfire on cylinder 2.

·
Registered
32 Posts
So jumper cables work to start the car, battery doesn't start the car but it tests as good.

That seems like corroded battery clamps. Sometimes the corrosion is not that visible and can degrade the power getting to the starter just enough.

You can test this theory with a voltage meter hooked to something (not the battery) and look at the voltage while trying to start with just the battery and then with the jumper. Is there any difference? A good cleaning of the terminals and the clamps is easy and cheap. Then put that battery terminal goop all over the terminals and clamps. (remember disconnect the negative first and reconnect the negative last).

Good Luck,
Frank

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.