Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a 2008 Jeep Grand Cheeroke WK 3.0 CRD. It has the Mercedes transmission.

It has started going into limp mode pretty often.

It will not change gears automatically (stuck at second gear) and it will not allow me to manually change gears (+-).

If I turn the car off and on it starts working fine.

There are no error codes for the transmission. Oil level is ok.
The only error code the computer shows is related to a bad DPF Sensor (also Mercedes one).

Sometimes, the transmission does a knocking sound when downshifting (It does it more often while I let go of the gas pedal or if I am coasting. It doesn't seem to do it while I am braking). It does not do it very often too, once in a while).

Does anyone know what may cause it?

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
1997 SL500 Sport pano triple black 2010 R350 - sold 2014 E350 - sold
89 Posts
Hi. Have you checked on this at a Jeep forum?
This forum is organized by car series. A non-transmission person like me wouldn’t really know if there are any helpful posts here based on the transmission type. Do you know which model MB’s used this transmission in 2008?

·
Administrator
1993 SL500, 1998 SL500 Pano Top, 2005 ML270Cdi.
947 Posts
If it's a 722.6 gearbox then it is the collector plate. The speed sensors go AWOL and the car will only drive in 2nd gear.
My Ssangyong Rexton has that 722.6 gearbox and recently it had the same symptoms, I changed the collector plate now it's fine.
I have had the exactly the same problem with my ML270Cdi. which has the same gearbox.

Automotive tire Automotive exterior Font Automotive wheel system Machine

EDIT: Before you get too involved, unplug the 13 pin plug from the gearbox. If it is saturated with ATF fluid, spray it with something like brake cleaner and also the socket on the gearbox to remove all traces of ATF. If this cures the fault then you only need to change the socket.
Camera lens Camera accessory Lens Optical instrument Cameras & optics

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it's a 722.6 gearbox then it is the collector plate. The speed sensors go AWOL and the car will only drive in 2nd gear.
My Ssangyong Rexton has that 722.6 gearbox and recently it had the same symptoms, I changed the collector plate now it's fine.
I have had the exactly the same problem with my ML270Cdi. which has the same gearbox.

View attachment 10921

EDIT: Before you get too involved, unplug the 13 pin plug from the gearbox. If it is saturated with ATF fluid, spray it with something like brake cleaner and also the socket on the gearbox to remove all traces of ATF. If this cures the fault then you only need to change the socket.
View attachment 10922
Sorry for the late reply.

You are right. Same symptoms. Same problems for those two parts.

Sent it to the dealership.
Found the culprit:
faulty speed sensor(s) on the conductor plate, shift pressure solenoid.

They gave me the part numbers for both of them: K68049181AB, K05138838AA.

The dealer prices were really high (1500 dollars for both), so I am looking to find them online way cheaper. They are Fiat part numbers, but the transmission is Mercedes Benz so I will check everywhere with other part numbers.

I could find some for 100 dollars, but need to check if they fit 100%: NAG1 5-Speed Transmission Speed Sensor Valve Body For 05-12 Chrysler Dodge Jeep | eBay

I will first try your option of cleaning it.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi. Have you checked on this at a Jeep forum?
This forum is organized by car series. A non-transmission person like me wouldn’t really know if there are any helpful posts here based on the transmission type. Do you know which model MB’s used this transmission in 2008?
Yes. W5A580 transmission is used almost every where in MB models. It the 5G used in different S, E, C, ML, G classes.

It is on a Jeep, but it is 100% the same as in MB models. There are some minor changes for NA Jeeps, but mine is an EU model and has it identical with MB models.

·
Administrator
1993 SL500, 1998 SL500 Pano Top, 2005 ML270Cdi.
947 Posts
Sorry for the late reply.

You are right. Same symptoms. Same problems for those two parts.

Sent it to the dealership.
Found the culprit:
faulty speed sensor(s) on the conductor plate, shift pressure solenoid.

They gave me the part numbers for both of them: K68049181AB, K05138838AA.

The dealer prices were really high (1500 dollars for both), so I am looking to find them online way cheaper. They are Fiat part numbers, but the transmission is Mercedes Benz so I will check everywhere with other part numbers.

I could find some for 100 dollars, but need to check if they fit 100%: NAG1 5-Speed Transmission Speed Sensor Valve Body For 05-12 Chrysler Dodge Jeep | eBay

I will first try your option of cleaning it.
$1500 is super expensive.
My new conductor plate was $92.72 that included shipping which I bought from eBay Spain.
Here's one from eBay USA eBay item number: 394191789604. This is exactly the same as the one I bought that includes a new plug, ATF oil filter and gasket.
If you can get underneath the car easily or lift it, it is a very easy job. You will lose quite a lot of ATF that should be replaced with Dextron 6 or equivalent.

A youtube how to video:-

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
$1500 is super expensive.
My new conductor plate was $92.72 that included shipping which I bought from eBay Spain.
Here's one from eBay USA eBay item number: 394191789604. This is exactly the same as the one I bought that includes a new plug, ATF oil filter and gasket.
If you can get underneath the car easily or lift it, it is a very easy job. You will lose quite a lot of ATF that should be replaced with Dextron 6 or equivalent.

A youtube how to video:-
Thank you!

I am going to do it in the following days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts