Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife reports that a message similar to the subject line came on recently in our 1998 E320 Wagon. Oil level appears to be appropriate on the dip stick. Last oil change was around 1000 miles ago (synthethic oil), and no oil has been added since. We've had some cold, wintry weather this week - could the sensor be affected by the colder temperatures? Has anyone had a similar situation? Is this a typical occurrence.

We bought this vehicle used this past summer, so there may be some "quirks" with which I am unfamiliar.

Thanks!
-TPh

'98 Mercedes Benz E320 Wagon
'97 Volkswagen Jetta GLX
'84 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce

·
Registered
191 Posts
OIL SENSOR DEFECTIVE

----- Original Message -----
To: "Mercedes List"
Sent: Friday, December 26, 2003 7:04 PM
Subject: [MB] Oil Sensor Defective - 1998 E320 Wagon

> Good evening list:
>
> While returning from taking my wife out to dinner tonight, when I started the
> wagon, the display went red and is projecting the message "OIL SENSOR
> DEFECTIVE". Anyone who can offer any experience or input as to a corrective
> measure short of taking the car to the dealership would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Sincerely,
> Scott
>
Tom Ph:

What I have learned so far is that there was some issues with the oil level sensor in the early FSS models, particularly the 1998 model year. Unfortunately, the sensor is in the sump. The lower oil pan will have to be removed to replace it. The sensor new part number is 004-153-53-28, and lists for around $70. Wholesale is $55. Although your fault message was different, this sounds like the same problem. One of the list replies to my message above detailed you fault message on a C320. He said t has been an intermittent problem which he has not had repaired yet.

-Scott

1 - 2 of 2 Posts